polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
oglu polycount lvl 666

Replies

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    They count 3d Studio from MS-DOS as 3ds Max?
    "MAX" was the windows version.

I started with kinetix's 3ds Max in windows, 1997 (but i used the ms-dos version too).

We are getting old... oh man I used to use a lot Truespace and Lightwave.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha ha I loved truespace Blaizer, could n't get the hang of lightwave though
    I used imagine for dos before I switched to 3ds max 1.1
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The first version I tried and used a little bit was 5 and it was around 2002-2003. I was like 13.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Blaizer said:
    They count 3d Studio from MS-DOS as 3ds Max?
    "MAX" was the windows version.

I started with kinetix's 3ds Max in windows, 1997 (but i used the ms-dos version too).

We are getting old... oh man I used to use a lot Truespace and Lightwave.
    I agree that that's a making a big assumption. 3Ds max was a completely different program to 3d studio. You couldn't even use a mouse in 3d Studio but max had all the modern features like a modifier stack and mouse viewport movement. 

I started with 3dstudio and used version 1.0 of max. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait what. We used a mouse in 3dstudio DOS. IIRC we had to do some goofy trickery with DOS memory and crap. 

Anyhow I started in whatever version was there in late 1991. Most memorable was moving our pipeline to the first version of Max, from DOS, and doing it mid-project, while outsourcing for Westwood on Blade Runner. That was fun. :(
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Wait what. We used a mouse in 3dstudio DOS. IIRC we had to do some goofy trickery with DOS memory and crap. 

Anyhow I started in whatever version was there in late 1991. Most memorable was moving our pipeline to the first version of Max, from DOS, and doing it mid-project, while outsourcing for Westwood on Blade Runner. That was fun. :(
    What I meant was there wasn't interaction with the mouse. From what I remember there was a lot of typing stuff into the keyboard instead of dragging with a mouse. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure there was. Check the videos.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Sure there was. Check the videos.
    I checked the videos and everytime they want to do something (eg: loft an object) it involves bringing up a dialog box that requires keyboard input. That's how I remember it. There's very little interactive mouse control over anything. When 3ds max came out you could select faces and drag them around in the viewport and add modifiers and real-time adjust the values - that's the sort of thing I mean. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ha! I remember starting on Raydream, Electric image and Animation Master, with a Mac no less, before discovering the pc and Max.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I started in 1996 using 3D Studio R4 for DOS
    And I also learned Alias/Wavefront Power Animator (which later became Maya)!

I am..   so.. old

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Hmm... according to that history Nitrous was introduced in Max2011, is that really true? It's the last version I used and I do recall at the office we skipped several updates because nobody wanted to deal with being a beta tester for a new viewport in production.

Anyway, Softimage 3D on SGI (at Uni) was my entry into the fold but I do recall playing with that 3D Studio DOS as well. I only really clicked with 3D though as soon as I found Nendo. And Max 4.0 was the first one I used seriously, not the least because some of the modelling features from Nendo had been ported over as a script) - edgeloops, edgerings, connect/divide, expand selection - that stuff wasn't possible earlier. http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/meshtools

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    thats not true, nitrous (noise mode) came with 2012.

i use 2011 i can chose between

OGL

and

Direct3d 9.0 or 10.0
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    kinetix - days.
    I am..   so.. old
    Aging like fine wine, but i agree, i hear it happens with time. :p 
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Neox said:
    thats not true, nitrous (noise mode) came with 2012.

i use 2011 i can chose between

OGL

and

Direct3d 9.0 or 10.0
    Its most likely a mix up of year and release version, as Max 2012 was released in the year 2011
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    yes. still sorta embarrasing :P
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    There's a few things in there that don't fit my memory of events.

I amuses me that they've completely ignored max 5 despite that being the version in which RTT was introduced (it's okay though, anyone who used it would probably rather pretend it never happened)

I'm pretty confident biped was there earlier than max 4 ( i'm sure i remember using it on 2.5 )
    CAT wasn't fully integrated iirc until max2012 (after they bought softimage out) although the plugin was available before that 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    30 years of max and when was the last update to the hair  or the cloth system for that matter.
    Max is really falling behind these days.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    That is actually a question in general.Some of the tech we are using today are very old and needs a facelift.