Home Career & Education

Do you take breaks?

This Question is mainly for people who haven't work at a Studio right now so the Question is do you take breaks?
I mean with that driving into Holiday or going outside with Friends eating something and so on or do you just work many hours...
since a Year im doing 9 - 16 Hours 3D Practice (Haven't got a Burn Out once) and it just makes for me a lot of fun im nearly addicted and always want to do it better / want to be better... Is that wrong? when im not doing 3D i have a feeling like i just waste time. Im scared that i am not good enough getting my dream job.
Im really confussed maybe you can help me

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    "empty what is full, fill what is empty, scratch where it itches"
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nothing wrong with burning the midnight oil occasionally, but do take a break to recharge now and then. lack of sleep will not do you any good in the long run
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    The feeling of wasting time when not doing anything is pretty common. It's very important to take breaks and relax, it also refreshes your mind. Also you won't run into burn-out where you just can't look at it anymore. It can happen and it's very sneaky. So take some time to relax as well. It's great to work a lot, I do that too. Just keep balance in mind :)
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I have to take breaks, I will start developing soreness in my shoulder if I don't, simply from overuse. The feeling you're describing took me a long time to deprogram myself from, having other hobbies and other experiences will help your art and health in the long run. Now if you really have to grind do you have to make some sacrifices? Yeah sure, you're probably going to have to turn some friend gatherings down, but doing art shouldn't stop you from doing other things.

You said you haven't burned out, and that's great however at the rate you're doing it will most likely hit eventually. It's just not sustainable long term, and there is also a point where you get a low return on investment, meaning the time you're putting in isn't as productive as you think it is. Your mind needs to rest too, sometimes I find when I take a day or evening off my mind is able to digest things and I come back feeling fresh with new ideas.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Don't forget to live life! As others have mentioned, a lot of ideas and inspiration come from doing activities outside of 3d.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    no, eat, sleep, repeat and occasionally writing stuff on polycount! Haven't taken a day off in years.

But don't cut sleep!
  • Iqualizierer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You all have been an huge help Thank you for your time and all your answers!
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Take breaks if you have to. Try to find a balance from staying in, sitting in front of your computer for countless hours, and going out a bit.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I take breaks, much to my chagrin.

I'm an enneagram 8w7, so I have a natural tendency to just being able to push past what people are used to as 'roofs.'
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
       I recommend wall tennis or squash as a good activity during breaks.
       Very good for the wrist.
       Inline skating is another great exercise to improve balance and concentration.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"Do you take breaks?"

Yes, definitely.
    ...since a Year im doing 9 - 16 Hours 3D Practice (Haven't got a Burn Out once) and it just makes for me a lot of fun im nearly addicted and always want to do it better / want to be better... Is that wrong?
    Well, if your particular physiological tolerance toward routinely spending those hours in front of a screen working to achieve an envisioned progression for 12mths, had thus far pre-empt feeling any noticeable ill effects regarding that term you've cited above, in which this industry over time has given rise too...then kudos.

However from personal experience, alongside many others in a similar circumstance I'll strongly suggest will eventually manifest quite possibly sooner rather than later. So do yourself a favor and heed the advice already offered, essentially learn how to regulate a given practice session or basically how one would, for instance normally perform throughout a regular salaried job workday/shift.