Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Handball model, topology question

seruz
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
seruz polycounter lvl 5
Hello guys, new to this place. I'm more of a motion designer / animation artist - but i'm trying to do some game-stuff as freelance. 

I'm making a handball model, and i'm just wondering if my workflow and topology is on the up and up. 

Here is my workflow in list format:

• Model high poly ball that looks nice
  • Model low poly ball from platonic primitive
  • UV lowpoly
  • bring into zbrush, subdiv - reproject
  • multimap exporter - disp, normal, ao, mesh
My questions:
For a hero interactive ball asset for use in VR games (Oculus Quest), what would be an acceptable polycount? I'm currently at 360 or 1080.
Is my topology good?
What can i do to avoid these creases and weirdness in normal map?
Does unreal VR support displacement map? 

some pics (currently only using normal map, bump and albedo texture.),._

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I suppose youre going to see it pretty up close so dont be cheap on the polygons. They dont matter that much when it comes to perf. I suggest removing every other edge in that mess of triangles that sit on each face of the ball. Also, try a spherical map or 2 hemispheres uvmap, that seems like  a lot of wasted uv space.
    I dont know if displacement is an option in vr, or how hard it affects performance but i think a good normalmap is sufficient. I would add more polys to the model instead of using any form of displacement.
  • seruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seruz polycounter lvl 5
    teodar23 said:
    I suppose youre going to see it pretty up close so dont be cheap on the polygons. They dont matter that much when it comes to perf. I suggest removing every other edge in that mess of triangles that sit on each face of the ball. Also, try a spherical map or 2 hemispheres uvmap, that seems like  a lot of wasted uv space.
    I dont know if displacement is an option in vr, or how hard it affects performance but i think a good normalmap is sufficient. I would add more polys to the model instead of using any form of displacement.
    Thanks for input, i will redo it with higher poly! 
    My concern with spherical mapping is texturing, but i guess it's pretty straight forward now with new softwares like substance painter etc.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Yea, you can paint directly on the model and not have to worry about rotation or stretching.