Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Flintlock musket - looking for a feedback on textures

Hi! I'm looking for a feedback for this model's textures before I move to rendering. Is there anything wrong I missed? Can I improve it somehow and make it more interesting?
A few screenshots are from SP viewport

Replies

• Tiggis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiggis triangle
    I would say color and roughness variation is something you should look into to make it stand out a bit more in those maps. Here are few refs you can take a look at  1 2 3 4 5. The height and wear on the stock is a bit too much and uniform, you can see the tiling on the wear too. Wood could also use more color and roughness variation to make it look more interesting, same thing goes for the metal in terms of color and roughness variation.

Look at your reference images, find something that looks interesting and add it. One more thing, you got very sharp edges too.
  • Boosted24v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boosted24v polygon
    The textures to me aren't really selling it. Your metal looks more like concrete than tarnished steel. The forward edges on your trigger guard are a bit sharp too. I like the wood, minus the damage, it looks way too random an maybe even a bit much. When doing weapon damage try to think about what this gun has been through, the situations it would find itself in, for instance, upon firing a volley the butt stock hastily hitting the ground as the soldier goes to reload.  Model and texture to sell that story.
  • Roman_Gardn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the feedback!
    I think I managed to improve it and I will try a bit more. Still WIP, thought I don't think I can push it much further without retexturing everything from scratch.