Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knight shield model, feedback critique required

Hey all,

Finished up this model yesterday, looking to get some critique on it, so I can improve my future models. 
The model is based of Vadim Boyko shield concept. 
The model is sitting at around 6.5k tris.

Updated version below

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I like it!! I feel you could have made the red paint a little less symmetrical. That's my only critique though.
  • Joey_Pistachio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it!! I feel you could have made the red paint a little less symmetrical. That's my only critique though.
    Thanks!, Yeh you are right, it does seem a little too symmetrical, didn't notice that before. 
  • Nandx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandx polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty nice! I feel the engravings are too perfect though, I would have tried to give them some variety, since the shield is pretty beaten up they feel weird to me. The textures on the wood can use some more love, maybe increase the roughness so it feels more like dry wood and break the symmetry. Last, for the renders I feel like you can work a bit on the ilumination, look at these referents, they have stronger highlights and more contrast with the background, that will help you sell the model because it's already looking very cool! 
  • Joey_Pistachio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandx said:
    Pretty nice! I feel the engravings are too perfect though, I would have tried to give them some variety, since the shield is pretty beaten up they feel weird to me. The textures on the wood can use some more love, maybe increase the roughness so it feels more like dry wood and break the symmetry. Last, for the renders I feel like you can work a bit on the ilumination, look at these referents, they have stronger highlights and more contrast with the background, that will help you sell the model because it's already looking very cool! 
    Thank you. took a note of the changes, ill give it a few more days and try to work in the things mentioned in the posts. Thank you for the reference. 
  • Joey_Pistachio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandx said:
    Hey, Made some changes :) looks a ton better now