Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Modeling Facial Topology Critique

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Indie polycounter lvl 2
I'm working on getting a better understanding of the topology required for proper deformation when it comes to character models, specificaly for the facial geometry. 
I made the head of a base model to try out a tutorial and I just want some feedback on how its looking and if there is anything that could be improved.

Thanks everyone. 

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    you´ve got a few places with too long polygons, they don´t all have to bee the exact same size but elongated polygons are not good.
    The edge flow next to the nose has some problematic areas, I definitely wouldn´t put  a star next to the mouth since it´s an area that deforms a lot in animation. I would try to clean up the edge flow around the nose to be a little more clean. 
    It´s usually a nice place to put a loop where i put the blue line in, which you´ve kind of got actually.
    Also the polycount wiki has a lot of nice info on edge flow if you need some references.
    If you are polymodeling this I would recommend sculpting a head and then retopoing that instead of doing it the old way, it´s a lot more comfortable. Hope that helps a little, good luck :) 

• Indie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indie polycounter lvl 2
    you´ve got a few places with too long polygons, they don´t all have to bee the exact same size but elongated polygons are not good.
    The edge flow next to the nose has some problematic areas, I definitely wouldn´t put  a star next to the mouth since it´s an area that deforms a lot in animation. I would try to clean up the edge flow around the nose to be a little more clean. 
    It´s usually a nice place to put a loop where i put the blue line in, which you´ve kind of got actually.
    Also the polycount wiki has a lot of nice info on edge flow if you need some references.
    If you are polymodeling this I would recommend sculpting a head and then retopoing that instead of doing it the old way, it´s a lot more comfortable. Hope that helps a little, good luck :) 

:+1:
    Thanks fo much for taking the time. I really appreciate the input!