Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flying village

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
d333p node
Hello guys, 
This is my last project.
I have a problem with this though, big one. I've spent around 150+hrs working on this + many hours thinking about this, and it looks like I've wasted alot of time. I mean, time was not wasted because I've learned alot (started with 3d 4 months ago), what I mean is, it looks like I'm way to slow for some reason, and I dont understand what am I doing wrong. Looks like all of you could do this exact same render in few hours. And this frustrates me. Learning became way to hard, I'm not sure anymore where to move. Begining was so easy, but now when I've dove deeper I'm so damn confused.Should I make small projects or big? Should I learn fundamentals of 2d or focus on 3d? I want to become level artist or world artist.
Will be really gratefull for any help or advice!

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    1. Everybody is slow at first, you get faster with more experience.
    2. Nobody could do that in a couple of hours and make it look decent
    3. Learning is not hard, wanting to learn and do everything, is. Its harder now to do something because the bar is so high and there are so many tools to learn. If you focus on each for a while you'll get there.
    4. Do what you enjoy doing. Try a few things but dont put pressure on yourself, see what you like. If you put pressure on completing lets say a massive project, then you would get frustrated or just not enjoy it, and think that you dont like doing this.
  • d333p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d333p node
    @teodar23
    Thank you very much for support! I will try work on few small projects and will see where it will take me  
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    I like the mood of your scene in that case you achieve your goal :smile:

In terms of time ...  oh boy my first 3d images where so time consuming because I had no idea about pre production or efficient moddeling/ texturing. It was just a lot of fun creating my own worlds. But yeah as @teodar23 mentioned don't push yourself to hard because it needs always time to grow and get faster. Small projects are also good because you will learn to fail faster and that is the key of sharpening your skills, but most important is love what you do!

A good resources to see how other artists and companys dealing with level design and world building choices are the GDC talks ( you can find a lot of them on Youtube )

Keep it up and happy building  B)

• d333p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d333p node
    Thanks for advice @Crazy_pixel! Happy to say that there is no problem with love part, I spend learning +-10 hours every day (thanks to my beloved wife). I've realised just yesterday that my problem is that I'm afraid to create or to be more precise to invest alot of myself into what I create. For me, it is very new feeling when your work is not being appriciated at all, especially when you invest so much in it, but looks like there is no other way around but to take it as it is and learn how to get over it :)