Home Career & Education

What should i create for a Environment Artist Portfolio.

Hello,

Im doing 3D already over a Year testing everything and now i finally know what i want to do i want to specialize in Environment Art i just dont know what to put in my Portfolio... Props ? Whole Environments or both i would love to know your opinion..

I would appreciate answers very much

Greetings,
Linus

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    The closer you aim the less likely you are to miss. Find the environment artist who work at the studio you want to work at and talk to them directly.

"Hi ____. I'm a student artist and I am interested in applying for a job at your studio. Sorry to message you directly, but if you have time I'd like to ask what sort of skills you look for in a job applicant....

By the way, I really liked your latest work... thanks for your time..."

You'll get plenty of more generic answers, but you can find all of that already with search. It's discussed all the time and there is greaty stickied and archived info in the wiki.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    - An indoor environment
    - An outdoor, forest environment
    - An outdoor, city environment

You need to show you know how to use sub-d topology correctly.
    Show your texture maps and wireframes.
    Light your environments.
    Produce some work mimicking the art style of your local studio(s).

If applying to games;
    Show you know how to bake normal maps correctly.
    Render your stuff in a game engine, or marmoset toolbag.

Check out the wiki!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    more important than any of that... Make the environments you produce tell a story and create a real atmosphere - that's the art bit

• Nandx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandx polycounter lvl 6
    There's also a thread in Polycount where people show their portfolio before they were hired in AAA studios. That might help you get an idea of what an entry level portfolio looks like, many of them are prop or environment artists!

https://polycount.com/discussion/187512/recently-hired-in-aaa-show-us-your-portfolio