Home Technical Talk

I want to consult about the 3d modeling software for low poly which I'm making.

I want to consult about the 3d modeling software for low poly which I making.

Purpose of the software is that a person who does not know 3d modeling can make 3d model of quality from sfc level to N64 level in short time .

The ultimate goal is to make a 3D model of the human body in an hour. For example, shiek and saria in the legend of zelda : ocarina of time.

The method is that some kind of Block is put and is scaled and is cut.

I used this method and made apple.  The models in the upper left are some types of blocks.

Is this the right way to achieve the goal?

I am a beginner in polycount. Sorry if unfriendly.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Check out "crocotile 3d". Its a good reference for basic modeling features, and provides the style you want.
  • mokuzu555
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Check out "crocotile 3d". Its a good reference for basic modeling features, and provides the style you want.

Thank you. I used crocotile 3d in the past. Unfortunately, This is hard to use for me.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The only easier way I can imagine is kinda like a minecraft style. Crocotile has a bunch of tutorials on youtube, and believe me, this is still way easier than an actual modeling software. So I guess you need to set a border somewhere. Functionality will come with some price.

Most of the shapes can't be made just by using primitives. You set a whole lot of limitations this way, especially if you don't have booleans. If you have that, its a somewhat different story, because you would give bigger freedom.

Is SketchUp hard as well?
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    mokuzu555 said:
    The ultimate goal is to make a 3D model of the human body in an hour. For example, shiek and saria in the legend of zelda : ocarina of time.

(...)

Is this the right way to achieve the goal?
    Hi. What lets people make humanoid models so quickly isn't the software they're using, but their knowledge of human anatomy. So by just moving a few vertices around they can make what is a lowpoly cylinder look like a forearm, or a subdivided cube look like a head.

Unless you want to learn how to create a 3D software, in which case you'll learn a lot from your project, if you just want to to make lowpoly art then you can grab Blender 2.79 or 2.8, and then work on getting better:
    - Study fundamentals like human anatomy, drawing/digital painting, character design and such.
    - Make a free account on Pinterest so you can search for lowpoly anatomy reference, like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/457185799651027779/
    - First create copies of models in the 3D software, and only when you've improved a lot, create your own original things.

Note that if you don't know painting then you won't be able to create something in the level of N64's Zelda: the models are so lowpoly that they rely a lot on their bitmap textures for details, so you'll need to know how to beautifully paint anime-style faces for your textures.