Home Technical Talk

How to Rigging a Modular Character ?

Months ago I make a question about how to modeling these kind of characters and I have a good answer from Alex in this post http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/SkankerzeroModularCharacterSystem, but now I have a big question ¿How to rigging and animating a 3d modular character?. I could see some information, but I can't understand a confuse pipeline.

I read something about rigging a single mesh, and after that cut every part of the body with the skeleton included. 
In other website I read about paint weights separately of every body part and then combine the body.
Is necesary weld the vertexs before rigging  or only combine and after that make the rigging?

Pls I need answers :'C

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on how modular you need this to be. Like say you have a character that can change from pants to a skirt at any time. Maybe you have the skirt rigging always on the rig, but you can toggle whether you're using them or not. Using Advanced Skeleton or mGear for rigging, you can easily add and remove things on your rig.

As for welding and combining, that also depends, but it's not necessary. Using the skirt example, you wouldn't want the pants, body, and skirt combined to be a single mesh.
  • Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, it's too relative and I think that's more a question of experimenting than anything. It's about liking nodes in a node graph aswell, setting driven keys (driver), etc. One thing to be sure: work everything so the hidden stuff need no computation consuming your PC.