Home Marmoset

Marmoset Baking Normal Information that Doesn't Exist

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NURBS polycounter lvl 3
So I'm baking a normal map in Marmoset and there is a small face on my model that is getting normal information baked to it that doesn't actually exist on my high-poly. I've checked everything I can think of and re-baked multiple times but the result is the same. The UVs are good (as far as I can tell), there are no distorted or flipped UV shells and the low-poly and high-poly are positioned correctly in Marmoset. Anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it?

This is the high-poly.

This is the low-poly

This is the corresponding UV.

This is the face that is being affected.

This is the result in Marmoset. As you can see there is a line going across the middle of the face.

This is what the normal for the UV shell and face looks like. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have a Marmoset section, moving this there from Technical Talk.
  • NURBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS polycounter lvl 3
    That's right. Guess I forgot about that. Sorry.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    I think there might be a bigger issue than just the top since you got some gradient on the sides of the magazine although you got a simple hard edge square, might be your normal that don't export well.. Maybe you can share the magazine part only, low and high?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The root problem is likely that the low poly mesh normals are very extreme in this area. Using hard edges (and splitting UVs where you have hard edges) or leveling some of these edges may help.

Try changing the tangent space to Mikkt. The Marmoset tangent space doesn't handle this sort of thing as well.
  • NURBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS polycounter lvl 3
    I've tried baking with hard edges and changing the tangent space did nothing to fix it. The thing is still there.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, we may need to take a look at your scene. Please contact support@marmoset.co with a brief description of the problem, a link to this thread, and your scene file.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    So been going through this same issue both in toolbag n painter, turns out EQ was right I break the UVs and split sg using uv island and problem was gone. However just to make my life difficult I am like what if my td wants it all in one UV island so when texturing unique details there is no breakup (seamless) now the option I have is add more geo on the problem area to smooth the mesh normals (edge bevel method)
    I am hoping smoothing my low poly with more edges on extreme uneven areas will result in smooth bake however I did notice something weird too in my highpoly (my mistake) while modelling I somehow messed up the curvature both on low n hp and while the results look perfect in max viewport 

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT said:
    So been going through this same issue both in toolbag n painter, turns out EQ was right I break the UVs and split sg using uv island and problem was gone. However just to make my life difficult I am like what if my td wants it all in one UV island so when texturing unique details there is no breakup (seamless) now the option I have is add more geo on the problem area to smooth the mesh normals (edge bevel method)
    I am hoping smoothing my low poly with more edges on extreme uneven areas will result in smooth bake however I did notice something weird too in my highpoly (my mistake) while modelling I somehow messed up the curvature both on low n hp and while the results look perfect in max viewport 

This kind of error is caused by having a complex shape but not having enough texture resolution to properly represent it. You'll notice these little lines being more obvious the more the texture resolution drops. Using hard edges can help in this sort of case, since the normal map has less work to do.

Here's another example from the Toolbag baking tutorial