Home Technical Talk

Maya LT Rig/Anims File Referencing Pipeline Alternative?

spidlee
node
Offline / Send Message
spidlee node
Hi All,

I'm currently using Maya LT and have stumbled across a problem, which is File Referencing is a missing feature TT....
Currently I'm looking at implementing a clean pipeline where we can separate the Rig in one file, and all anims in individual files, instead of one giant master file.  We also need the ability to modify said rig (rebind new mesh, or add new bones and controllers, etc), and have the changes be updated to all existing animations. 

Is Time editor an option? I watched a few videos, but it seems it's just for mashing together exported clips? Which would mean, we'd still need a master file? Clarification here would be appreciated!

If we can't do the above, we're looking at moving to Blender as a last resort....

Would appreciate getting pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I fear there is no easy way in LT.
    But there are rumors that next Month the Maya Indie Version so goin on sale worldwhide. Maybe its an option.
  • spidlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spidlee node
    Wowza, I didn't know there was an Indie "version".  Thanks for that! Just checked it out, and it's indeed available for a 1 year discounted price right now. 
    So tempting yet... if they discontinue the Indie business model, we would be stuck with rigs that can only be used in Maya O.o at full cost.

We have to really weigh our options here, but I'm definitely super tempted to jump on that.

But I like how, it seems they're at least willing to look at becoming more progressive with the landscape. Hopefully it'll stick around and phase out Maya LT altogether for Indie business model.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If you can wait a month you should know if its available longer than a year. 
  • spidlee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spidlee node
    Yeah man, I'll check again in a month's time. In the meantime, I guess I'll stick with LT / trial out blender. Hopefully autodesk adopts the indie business model permanently. Fingers crossed!
    Thanks again!