Home Technical Talk

Half Cylinder, quad topology

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ryandec polycounter lvl 8
I'm trying to get all quad topology so that i can use Subdiv to smooth the model and such, below is the picture of the issue im having, since i used a half cap to attach onto the cube i still have those faces they merge into a center point, i want to have a similar insert as before where the beams meet the Cylinder. Is it actually nesscary for me to allows model with one consitent model with hard surface rather than in parts? I would do this in parts but I was under the impression it would bring up problems when baking normal maps etc.

cheers!

Replies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Ryandec said:
    I'm trying to get all quad topology so that i can use Subdiv

If you're using the model just to bake the high poly you don't need quads necessarily (provided it looks good). Quad topology is only necessary for Sub Division meshes that will have animation/deformation/UVs. That half cylinder's centre point on a flat surface is a good example of quads not really mattering.

If you really do need quad topology for any reason, and also want to avoid the centre pinch you can try something like this:
    When doing quads it helps to keep all your shapes a multitude of 4 (try using cylinders with 8, 16, etc radius segments. Obviously not always possible, just a tip).

Also, if the mesh before the half cylinder has a slope you'll need some extra loops before and after though (it sort of looks like it, but I cant say for sure).

By the way, there's an ongoing thread for modeling advice:
    Most of these kind of questions get bundled there. : )

Hope it helps.

• Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, this really does help. I was mainly trying to keep it quads are for example i cant really extrude and bevel in that circle with the closed point as it messes up, is it actually viable for me to just use a different object that the main model? and subdivide that seperate?

i'll be sure to note that thread for future posts too! thanks again.
  • Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Ryandec said:
     is it actually viable for me to just use a different object that the main model? and subdivide that seperate?

Don't know if I understand you correctly, but if you mean something like floaters; as long as the end result looks good, anything goes. Just make sure there isn't a visible overlap between the two meshes (especially if you're going to bake AO).

(Edit: personally I'm not really a big fan of floaters. And since you're practising quads anyway you might opt to do solid modeling. Just my opinion.)
  • Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi said:
    Ryandec said:
     is it actually viable for me to just use a different object that the main model? and subdivide that seperate?

Don't know if I understand you correctly, but if you mean something like floaters; as long as the end result looks good, anything goes. Just make sure there isn't a visible overlap between the two meshes (especially if you're going to bake AO).

I meant for example the image you drew over with the red lines, instead of having that as one mesh just making the cynlinder seperate and smoothing it seperate from the other mesh. Also thanks for the new term, didn't know what floaters meant but a youtube video explained :) 

essentially like the image below

so 2 objects making up the whole, i was just under the assumtion that most meshes need to be continous
  • Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Ah, ok. I thought you meant something completely different.

Whether your example above works depends on what you want; but you will currently have a hard seam between the two meshes. Meshes absolutely do not need to be continuos, but your design needs to feel realistic/natural. If it needs to be one continuos mesh I'd opt to unify them.

But if the cylinders represents a wheel or something alike that's partially inside that arm you'll also have to model it that way;

• Ryandec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh ok that makes sense now and I understand why there would be a seam, essentially it would be more like the last example image. It's great to see how each of them are, I really apprecaite the effort in your explaination it really helps! you should teach :)  thanks!