Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How can i make this look realastic ?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Bishwash polycounter lvl 2
Hi all, 
This is my first post here. 
I need a little help. I made this biscuit and for me its looks okay but i don't no i feel like something is missing. What do you guys think?
thank you.

Replies

• Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Can you post a pic of the real thing? 
    If those are supposed to be sesame seeds then they are way too small. Looks like semolina
  • Bishwash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bishwash polycounter lvl 2
    Quasar said:
    Can you post a pic of the real thing? 
    If those are supposed to be sesame seeds then they are way too small. Looks like semolina
    Actually i tried to make this and wanted to add sesame on top of it. 
    Ac

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I'd say work on getting the base cookie looking good before adding the sesame seeds. Study your reference more closely to start with. look at all of the subtle curves and bends and rises in the shape of the cookie. Details like how the dough in-between the holes has risen up to form little hills, or how the cookie tapers down to be narrower at the edges, but unevenly. Model and/or sculpt that kind of detail in with some imperfections and subtle noise to get a more realistic surface. Then for texturing, once again, study your reference and try to match the textures a closely as you can. Add in details like the extra noise and cavities around the circumference of the cookie compared to the top surface, or the smoother lighter edge on the bottom that's slightly raised, or the baked in sugar crystals that reflect light in slightly different directions.

Once the base cookie is looking more realistic, add the sesame seeds. Just remember, sesame seeds are 3 to 4 mm long and rain drop shaped. I think the image below is a pretty good seed to cookie size ratio: Also, the seeds will be pressed in, baked in, and have a significant effect on the surface details of the cookie.

I hope some of my suggestions help you 'make it look more realistic'.

Oh, and one last thing, for the final presentation you might consider trying a light blue or cool grey background gradient. Both your reference and mine have light blue backgrounds that I think contrast nicely against the warmer tone of the cookies and would look good for a product render style of presentation.
    But if you want to stick with the bright orange background you have now that could work as well. It actually kind of reminds me of Cheese-It or Ritz Crackers packaging. Maybe a deeper red though to get more contrast and help your cookies stand out more.