Home Technical Talk

Maya - Hair Cards - dissapearing (Video showing)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
So i forgot to mention this is designated for substance/marmoset which normal i use a PBR workflow but Zbrush exported maps i could not seem to use with PBSStingray like the alpha channel, along with the specular being weird as i did not have a map for that from Zbrush. So not sure if thats causing it.

(Quick video showing the texture, uvs and issue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7WM1Km0-hw

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Transparency sorting issue. This is a common problem with real time transparency rendering method, and basically all renderer suffers from it. It happens because transparent thing doesnt write into the depth buffer, so sorting them is tricky.

Not a Maya user though, so I can't tell you what to set to make it better. But now you know what to look for.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Change the transparency algorithm to object sorting or depth peeling.

• GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Change the transparency algorithm to object sorting or depth peeling.

Damn thats much better, cheers mate!

• GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Transparency sorting issue. This is a common problem with real time transparency rendering method, and basically all renderer suffers from it. It happens because transparent thing doesnt write into the depth buffer, so sorting them is tricky.

Not a Maya user though, so I can't tell you what to set to make it better. But now you know what to look for.
    You're mighty right, if you ever wana try Maya someone below  showed the rendering issue setting for transparancy cheers for the help :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I don't have Maya around but for future reference -

Last time I had to use it the depth peeling setting was unbearably slow on a production mesh (40k+ triangles in hair cards) and produced black pockmarks all over the geometry - is that expected behaviour?

Also how do you get to use alpha test with hair cards in Maya viewport? I tried but never could make them show up fully - there was some super aggressive texture filtering going on that meant you had to zoom in all the way to see the cards properly. I might have not found all the switches to turn that off and enforce maximum texture resolution however.

• GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp said:
    I don't have Maya around but for future reference -

Last time I had to use it the depth peeling setting was unbearably slow on a production mesh (40k+ triangles in hair cards) and produced black pockmarks all over the geometry - is that expected behaviour?

Also how do you get to use alpha test with hair cards in Maya viewport? I tried but never could make them show up fully - there was some super aggressive texture filtering going on that meant you had to zoom in all the way to see the cards properly. I might have not found all the switches to turn that off and enforce maximum texture resolution however.

Yer someone above cleared it up the peeling!

I have it setup on a lambert1 with the files plugged in, and its on a 4k texture map, i also made the uvs rather large so things did not displace which helped keep it nice and crisp, i think thats helping  
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    @GarethStandfield Yes I saw depth peeling mentioned earlier but your asset in that example video is still very simple and there it might not make much of a performance difference (yet). I've observed the issues I mentioned on a far more complex asset with lots of layered geometry.