Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Environment - WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
tmartyn807 polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a small medieval diorama scene in UE4. Most recently I have been working on set-dressing, the trees and adding in decals and I'm yet to add in some smaller foliage and grass and work on the lighting properly. My aim is to create a quaint environment that feels very lived in.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or feedback at this stage on ways I could improve the scene? I think I may be finished populating assets in the scene other than some smaller foliage, but perhaps someone has a suggestion of something else I could add in to make it feel more complete.

https://tommartyn.artstation.com/

Replies

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Id love to see some signage! Since its a medieval scene obviously not like a stop sign, but it would be a nice storytelling element to add to the space. 
  • tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @ThisisVictoriaZ yeah I think some signage could be a great idea! Perhaps it could be pointing to a nearby tavern or something. Im creating a lantern atm so maybe the lantern could hang off the pole with the sign. Thanks for the input :)
  • tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update to my project. I've added in some some signage and lanterns into the scene. I had a lot of fun creating the medieval font for the 'Picklebury' sign. Thanks for the suggestion @ThisisVictoriaZ

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love that it looks so nice! The lantern is a good touch as well, cant wait to see what you add next :)
  • tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! I think next I will add in grass, weeds and flowers around the trees and see how it looks and what else it may need after that :)
  • tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recently I have been learning a bit more about lighting in Unreal and working with distance field and cascade shadows (I'm a little bit of a novice with lighting).

For the scene I have gone for a moveable directional light and have been playing round with Distance Field Indirect Shadows for the assets. Alongside this I have tweaked the trees to make them look less clumpy and dark. The Opacity Mask Clip Value has really helped to break up the trees a bit and I've been playing with the specular, opacity and SSS values. 

I will use a HDRI which I will use as a skysphere and also plug into the skylight to further define the lighting more. This is a technique I discovered in the brilliant UE4 Lighting Academy tutorials.

• tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little update on my scene.

Over the past week I have added in some foliage and tweaked the materials a little. Alongside this I changed the terrain so that it is an earth clump with depth rather than a simple circular plane. I have also added in tree roots coming out the bottom of the terrain which I made using and breaking up the tree meshes and I will add in loose floating earth clumps around the roots too. 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great progress on this! Its looking really nice so far, I especially love the tall grass and wildflowers!
  • tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ThisisVictoriaZ Thank you! I used a few assets from the Megascans library for the grass and flowers and adjusted them for the scene. :)

Small bit of progress working on the tree roots popping out beneath the terrain adding in mud/earth clumps and vertex painting on the roots to add dirt to them.

My plan is to now add in a Skysphere with a sunset HDRI and do a full lighting pass on the scene. I also want to add in a little bit of fog into the scene - I may use fog cards for this as I feel it will give me more control but will see.

• tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been working on the lighting over the last couple of weeks and also added in some fog cards which gave me precise control of where I could add in fog. The scene is set up with dynamic lighting, DFAO and custom HDRI sky plugged into a sky sphere and Skylight's Cubemap.

I'm now calling my Medieval Diorama finished. I've learnt a fair bit working on this project (especially about dynamic lighting in UE4) and had a lot of fun working on it!

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I love all the props, and the environment, and the "floating island" style of it.

To me, though, the lighting is letting down all the hard work put into it. Not that it's bad lighting, but it doesn't feel as polished and thought out as the rest of the scene, and it's all pretty dark and orange (without feeling stylized and dramatic).

I personally would love to see some more range in the lighting— brighter brights. I'm no good at lighting, so I can't really offer specific ideas, and I'm curious if others agree with me.
  • tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Joopson thank you for the feedback!

I think I get what you mean - I guess one problem with sunset lighting is it can be quite dark and too orangey which can mean the colours and details can be lost. It's been a bit of a practice and learning project in terms of dynamic lighting so think it could potentially be a lot better.

I am considering doing an alternative lighting setup with midday static lighitng.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Damn the scene is coming along nicely, but I have one big gripe atm and that is the lighting. Right now all the lighting is very uniform. Right now your lighting is all the same all over the scene. The best environments use the lighting to tell a story, or highlight certain areas. Look at scenes from for example the Witcher 3 and how they have done with outdoor scenes to create a nice story and focus with their lighting.
    But you are on a great path and this will be awesome once you nail it. 
  • tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @Nuclear Angel thank you for the feedback! That is a good point I see what you mean. As the scene is quite flat and lacks larger structures I'm wondering how best I would go about making the scene less uniform and occluding areas - Atm I'm thinking I could maybe create some partial occluding from clouds above to make the well stand out for example
  • tmartyn807
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel this point about the lighting being too uniform and not telling a story links to what you were saying @Joopson ?