Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] [WIP] - RaceTrack Construction Kit

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
sargisstg polycounter lvl 3
Hi Polycount Community! 

I'm creating a "Race Track Construction Kit" for the Unreal Marketplace and wanted to share the working progress here and get some feedback and critiques.
I've already made a lot of assets for this pack, for example, metal rails, fence rails, tires, banners and etc. (I will attach some screenshots below, P. S. sorry for bad placement of props :) it's just for to see what props are ready when all assets will be done I will create a fully playable demonstration map)

They are all using one master's materials and there are many useful parameters to change the look of each prop. For example, there is an option to easily change the stripe color from red-white to blue-white and etc.

Also, I've made unique master material for roads. There is a function to add skidmarks on the road using the vertex painting.

There are still a lot of assets left to do.
I'm planning to add these assets below
  • Tribune
  • Pitstop
  • Flags
  • Start/Finish line
 Also, I will add many road variations with different curbs.
So stay tuned, write comments on what you think about this pack. Will you buy this or not? :) And what you would like to see more.

Thanks all in advance.

P.S. Check my marketplace page here :) 

Replies

• sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again. I've just made quick demonstration test to see how all of these are working. 

Let me know what you think :)
  • Totozoos
    Offline / Send Message
    Totozoos polygon
    Looking good!, is it only based on landscape splines or do you plan to provide blueprint options as well?. I think it would be nice to have a bluprint with a single spline controlling the placement of all the props like fence, tires, boards, etc. with options to control variations and offsets between props with a single bp.
  • sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    Totozoos said:
    Looking good!, is it only based on landscape splines or do you plan to provide blueprint options as well?. I think it would be nice to have a bluprint with a single spline controlling the placement of all the props like fence, tires, boards, etc. with options to control variations and offsets between props with a single bp.
    Thanks for the comment. Currently, they are based on landscape splines but I'm planning to switch on blueprints. I should do some researches because I have not worked with blueprint splines before.
    Bytheway if someone knows how to deform the landscape using blueprint splines then I would appreciate it.
  • sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all. I found some time on weekends to work on tribune modules. I'm trying to keep these simple as possible (not too much polygonal) because they are secondary assets and will be far away from the player/car. I'm still thinking about how to texture them optimally. Maybe the trim sheet would be great for this or I will make some tiled material (Metal, Concrete and etc.) and spread on modules. Let me know if you have any good ideas.  :)

• sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I continued working on tribunes. Decided to use multiple materials and give ID's to meshes. So I have created Metal, Paint, Concrete and Floor textures. I also made a seat and baked it from high poly version.

In my master prop material, I have special parameters to change the colors of seats easily.

and here is the quick screenshot from my 3ds max scene where I'm creating these modules.

I still need to make the roof texture and maybe, later on, I will add more modules.
  • sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. I did some researches in blueprint spline and now I'm happy to share here my results. I made one construction blueprint called "Barrier_Generator". Check this out and let me know what you think :) Maybe later on I will add functions like offset, variations and etc.
    Thank you Totozoos for the advice.

• sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all. That was a long time I haven't posted any updates here. So here are the start lights I modeled. There are 2 material ID's. One of them is for lights and the other is a trim sheet for metal parts which I will reuse it on other props for sure.

Also I want to share a screen from my Trello board where you can see what left to do. After having all kits I will recreate Red Bull Ring racetrack using my own kits for the demo :) Please let me know what do you think and what should I add in my Trello board. Thanks.

• sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there. In the last days, I worked on the grass meshes. I picked up them from my previous project called "Ancient Ruins" and did some refinements. 

I assembled the meshes in the circle like in the picture below and used the "normal thief" script to copy normals from cylinder mesh into grasses. It's a great technique to make the grass meshes look smoothly on the large fields.

• sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone. I want to share the progress of my work. I finished Spline Barrier Generator, which will help to easily create barriers across the level. 

Also made spruce tree. It has 4 Lods with billboard. Here are some screenshots.
    Next steps will be the creation of the PitStop building modules.
    Let me know if someone has questions. Thanks for the attention.