Home Technical Talk

How do you actually texture a high poly model?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi everyone. The short version of my question is: "How does one go about texturing a high poly mesh properly?". Google only returns results related to backing details on to a low poly, but almost nothing about what I am trying to achieve. I want to obtain a properly textured high poly model instead of a game ready low poly mesh similar to the example below:

I figured that the intuitive thing to do would be to first unwrap the low poly version, create the textures and then subdivide, but when doing this the texture gets distorted around the seams. 

As a workaround to this, I am currently subdividing the low poly mesh with 1 iteration (TurboSmooth - using 3Ds max), unwrapping the result and then subdividing again with my textures applied. 

This minimizes the distortion around the seams considerably to the point where it's barely noticeable since the geometry doesn't get stretched that much after subdividing a second time, however the downside is that the unwrap workflow becomes a real pain in some cases both for me and the computer since I am unwrapping a poly heavy mesh. I'm not sure this is the proper workflow.

I honestly ran out of ideas for figuring this out and for things to google and I would be VERY grateful if someone would enlighten me. I suspect that the way I am doing things is wrong since it is such a hassle. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Replies