Home Technical Talk

Should i let holes in some specific parts of my mesh to reduce polycount in a a character for games?

Hello [:

This is the first time I try to convert one of my sculptures(Based on another artist concept) to a game character so I was doing the retopo, wondering if its a good practice or just good in general to leave holes in parts of the mesh that are hidden or don't have any good use, like the beard and hair since they "merge" inside the scalp and face and the inner polygons are not displayed.

Since I'm duplicating the bracers, boots, and hands to save UV space I was wondering the same for arms and legs.

*I'm not using cards for hair or beard since I'm trying a more sculptural look like if the hair and beard have been carved*

I know I can go lower in polycount by optimizing the mesh and lowering the polygons so I don't have to "hollow" the hair and beard, but I just want to learn good practices and the correct way to handle this kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance!

*Excuse my English is not my native language*

*Green marks are the designated part for the mesh to be hollow*

Replies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Ideally; yes, having holes is preferred. If it isn't visible, it shouldn't be created. Just make sure there aren't any gaps between your meshes.
    (Nice character by the way.)
  • Taogi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi said:
    Ideally; yes, having holes is preferred. If it isn't visible, it shouldn't be created. Just make sure there aren't any gaps between your meshes.
    (Nice character by the way.)
    Thanks for replying!

Yeah, my main concern with holes in those parts was that it can lead to problems when deforming the meshes in movements in case I further used it in a game engine for some basic character movements. I don't know how meshes interact in game scenarios.