Home Technical Talk

It is possible to have a model gameready without texture and uvmap?

sefiroths
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
sefiroths polycounter lvl 3
hi, someone can tell me about bad/good mapping? I'm not able to understand why my model seems so bad when inside tabletop simulator
not mapped/badly mapped

one good other no

this is only an example model, but if I will have more complex model??!?!
video tutorial seems easy process, but surely I'm misunderstand something...

in 3dsmax I selected all polygons and go to unwrap->edit->tools->flat mapping...result in bad unwrapped
the only good is what I have made by hands (I surely will not make a good mapping in a complex model)
can someone explain me how to make it well?
thanks

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    "(I surely will not make a good mapping in a complex model)"

sure you will ;)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    but to answer your question more seriously. there are artstyles where you do not need to unwrap or texture. it depends on if you are happy with such a style or not.

unwrapping gets more and more automated but its still an integral part of our workflow in game productions.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    That looks like a tangent issue which causes the reflected cubemap to not appear correcly. Bad unwrap and no unwrap can cause this. There are 2 obvious solutions:
    1. Unwrap the mesh
    2. zero out the specular so the cubemap don't even show up - so the error is non existant anymore. Or even, go with an unlit shader.

- Don't tell me that its hard to unwrap a cylinder.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    internet -> unwrapping tutorial
    and you could also look into our wiki
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    if you want a simple but still attractive style that requires minimal unwrapping and other technical things, grab one of the synty studios model packs from unity asset store to study.

they are still unwrapped, technically, but in a very minimalistic way. just make shells and put them on the color swatch you want. Don't need to be unfolded or anything.
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    depending on the art style, you can get away with basically pressing 1 button to UV. Your success will mostly be in cool design of the art, something like this might give some clues how you can make effective art with basic texture and hitting a couple UV buttons.

• sefiroths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sefiroths polycounter lvl 3
    Obscura said:
    That looks like a tangent issue which causes the reflected cubemap to not appear correcly. Bad unwrap and no unwrap can cause this. There are 2 obvious solutions:
    1. Unwrap the mesh
    2. zero out the specular so the cubemap don't even show up - so the error is non existant anymore. Or even, go with an unlit shader.

- Don't tell me that its hard to unwrap a cylinder.

That is what I'd like to know. I thought that a NOT-unwrapped model without a texture could be loaded and shaded as in viewport or render of the rendering program. Now I know that I MUST always unwrapthe model to make it work well