Home Career & Education

Modeling showreel: turntable or static images?

madstylesnz
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
madstylesnz polycounter lvl 9
I would've thought turntables are the order of the day for modeling but I came across this article where the author says static images are usually enough:

https://polycount.com/discussion/188930/why-i-hate-demo-reels

I'm getting mad render times on some light fog, I'll need to look at how I can dial it down (42 mins for a rough 1024 pixel image!), but I was wondering if maybe just static images with a moving camera might be enough?

What do you guys reckon?

Replies

• polypassion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polypassion polycounter lvl 9
    Recruters aren’t idiots, if your modelling skills worth something they’ll see it from the still breakdowns. Also a great thing about the stills - you can paint in things like fog in Photoshop.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Static images are fine. If you want to include a video/turnaround no one will fault you for it, but less people will watch it than who inspect the still images, so in that respect for modeling alone its not needed to have the video (and a video shouldn't be the only thing you show, for sure)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Imagine yourself as the recruiter. You are busy. You look at hundreds of models in one go. Your eyes are tired and you want to go home.

You want the pertinent information as quickly as possible. You aren't looking to be entertained or engrossed by a performance. You just want to know if there is an eye for quality and clear understanding of technicals. A few neatly layed out images accomplish that best.

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool

You want the pertinent information as quickly as possible. You aren't looking to be entertained or engrossed by a performance.

This. So much.

Especially beinngers should not think that their work will be entertainment for recruiting personal. Just show what they need to know and don't waste people's time and that will make you appear far more professional than any of these pointless videos schools teach you to do.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Every recruiter I've met in film/vfx expects a reel. Many of the art directors expect a cinematic presentation.
    But of course you can't go wrong with a still. 

In video games, its a mix, some recruiters say reel, but expect stills in a video (hence reel)
    Outsource companies are okay with stills.

From an art directors perspective, I feel some of them are looking for a presentation that increases the appeal of a model.
    Something like the Mohammed Ali posted at the forum thread you linked (or others in the post)

Again your work is only one aspect of the recruitment process, if by making a rendered cinematic you are learning something more in the pipeline and can afford the time spent, I'd say its worth making a cinematic video/reel.

One other aspect to note is that you work does evolve over time, so some artists make a reel updated yearly.
    Many artists simply prepare a quick reel when they are looking for work. 

Also its silly to assume that a rejection is explicitly because you didn't make a reel/portfolio was not upto quality unless they explicitly tell you 
    "We found someone who was more a fit for our current needs" could be anything.
    So unless its very very obvious that your work is lacking quality/totally out of sync with the requirements listed, I wouldn't chalk it down to your work.
    That said a reel may not make that much of a difference in a situation like this.
  • madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for your replies, I might go with static images then but with a moving camera in a video otherwise i'm going to have render round the clock for like days or maybe weeks seen as how I want 4k images, why wouldn't you want 4k?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Because it takes longer to load, person probably isn't on 4k display, and it won't make a difference in communicating the essential information you need to deliver.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    https://polycount.com/discussion/217846/can-you-tell-which-render-is-using-4k-textures#latest

This one is about textures, but at the end of the day its about the same topic. If I you need 4k to show off why I should hire you, there is probably something wrong. Your characters/props have to convince on regular game distances. And if you fail at that it won't matter how nice your detailed pores/scratches are ;)  Basically if your model isn't interesting enough for me to see up close I won't need a large 4k image that needs to be loaded.

An example - here I want to see the close ups and 4k details because from the primary to the tertiary shapes they are all executed to perfection and interesting to see - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xwbWe :)

So render at 4k, downsize it to 2k for your portfolio. You can still show some close ups, but it shouldn't be all 4k images (though I bet my portfolio has the same mistake, but I've not updated in nearly two years and I would do a lot of things differently now XD ).
  • madstylesnz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/217846/can-you-tell-which-render-is-using-4k-textures#latest

This one is about textures, but at the end of the day its about the same topic. If I you need 4k to show off why I should hire you, there is probably something wrong. Your characters/props have to convince on regular game distances. And if you fail at that it won't matter how nice your detailed pores/scratches are ;)  Basically if your model isn't interesting enough for me to see up close I won't need a large 4k image that needs to be loaded.

An example - here I want to see the close ups and 4k details because from the primary to the tertiary shapes they are all executed to perfection and interesting to see - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2xwbWe :)

So render at 4k, downsize it to 2k for your portfolio. You can still show some close ups, but it shouldn't be all 4k images (though I bet my portfolio has the same mistake, but I've not updated in nearly two years and I would do a lot of things differently now XD ).
    I see what you're saying but if I do a 4k image they still look nice when zooming in (which I'll do for a showreel of my static images) compared to say a 1024 one where I'll start to get some nasty pixelation which I despise. I guess if putting an image on a site like artstation perhaps 2k might be better if 4k would mean the image would take a while to download.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Oh when we all said static images we meant no showreel at all. If you're going to make a showreel you should probably have animated shots, we were all just saying no showreel at all. Just an image gallery.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Yeah. Simple rule - if your work does not move it does not require a video. So you are neither an animator nor technical artist nor vfx-artist? Preferably no video at all. No reason to add mb or compression issues to your presentation.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    showreels are kinda dated, especially for game art portfolios if you are not an animator. Look at what weapons artists are doing for a lot of their presentations these days, some banging screens and 1-2 mini little looping 3-10 second videos in the same artstation post that shows the materials and sometimes a small animation on how the weapon works. artstation now supports high quality video under a certain file size, use it to accent your portfolio posts, not be the focus. but a long 2-3 min reel of it all compiled together with slow turn tables and wireframes set to some usually loud and jarring music is pretty 2000 and late. 

couple cool examples: 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/W2RqkJ
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xz14xm