Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Head Study Michael B Jordan Ref - Critique

Hey everyone, I've been working on learning face/head anatomy was hoping someone would have some pointers for me or even resources to more tutorials and such.

Replies

• HaTariq
    Reference images used - 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'd recommend taking the time to break down, with a 2D paintover, the planes of the face on Michael B Jordan. 

I recommend the Asaro head as an example of how that should look.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Good one from Panda.
    You have a couple of issues in the above shots. Looks like you are sculpting on a dynamesh. There are loads of vids that show this method, but they are usually made by experienced artists. When you start sculpting straight away on a dense mesh it gives you a lumpy result. Starting from a low resolution and blocking out your sculpt on the way should help to avoid this.

Also download a free skeleton and place it under you mesh. That will help you position features.

If you have just started with sculpting figures, you can make screen grabs from a figure app like daz and place them on image planes for reference.
    However if you want to do a likeness piece using zbrush then it may not be possible to find refs from all angles. One handy thing with celebs is there is usually youtube or movie footage available. In zbrush's top right corner lies the see through slider. You can place the film under your interface and then sculpt on top. Here is a piece I did using that method.

• HaTariq
    @kanga
    Ohhh I was having trouble figuring out why my models were so lumpy I did not know that was the reason, I will use what you said and keep that in mind for the next sculpt. Thanks for the help I've only had 2 classes in Zbrush and I'm working to learn the rest on my own/ with help from professionals and peers

• HaTariq
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    Thanks I will do that from now on, I tried it once before and it didn't seem to help me but I was less experienced at that time. Thanks for helping 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Post them here once you do it, bruv.

Also, use and hotkey clayBuildUp and trimDynamic brushes.  Standard is only useful for specific things, like frustrating you to alcoholism.