Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character UVs

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
danialanp polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I don't post here. I would like to receive any feedback it would be possible in order to improve this character UVs in case it were needed.
It's a project I've been working on for two months. Thanks a lot for your comments!

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    What program are you using? ^Are you using a separate one for uv's? many questions. 

Otherwise i'd try to get the vert cuts down by merging say, the hands and feet together on one island, the uv seams won't looks great in its current state, you can figure out a new way to unwrap your hands + feet putting in some time or i could make a short guide on a process i just stumbled upon that i think handles the hand seam issue (for me) pretty well.

Answer those top questions and maybe add all the information you can, unless the design is a secret posting it in its entirety might be more helpful? 

idk but off the bat i'd merge similar parts together and box out the islands if i can, with very limited stretching. (I once thought this was impossible but with a little tinkering it actually works out very well)

brb with the hand guide i have to make it. Edited okay.

went through the trouble so i will post the gif work.  @rollin yea agree about the ears, i just tried to straighten whatever i made in 2016. (example) I made them cause on my irl hands i have would be seams there and i hate seeing seams all together so this helps my ocd?.,

Didn't show uv's cause you will mold your layout as you want to, for the project i created this with the hands where made as you did above, i didn't like the seams so this is what i came up with to handle it and it looks 100x's better than it did.  Hope it helps anyone.(the red arrows mean that entire line can be moved elsewhere, example continuing the pinky seam down the side, the old usual go to.)
    Edit: just plan better i didn't for the hands when i made them, time based project so i did what i could atm, just follow the actual lines in your own hands and use those to make a usable seam layout.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Jep, there are many factors about the use case influencing UV decisions. So I would say this is probably ok.
    @DavidCruz I personally don't like it to have uv-seams within the palm.

Also It might be better to cut the fingers to be able to straighten them 
    + I don't like to cut the ears. Because this leads to very prominent seams in the face. 
    And if you have such a dense mesh with nearly rectangular pieces I straighten them out too (arms, legs)

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    It may not make a noticeable difference in overall texel density of your layout, but you can save some space by straightening out these "banana hands." Even if texel density benefit is minimal, there are a number of workflow benefits to keeping things neat and tidy, in general.

Grab the finger vertices, use soft select to nudge them roughly straight, then use relax/optimize tools to clean it up.

• danialanp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, such a comments and thank you all for that, I appreciate it.
    So do you think is this ok @rollin? I totally agree with you when you say that it's not a good idea to have uv-seams within the palm, and I think that's not necessary because it's better to have these cuts in a hidden place. And do you mean having an island for each of the fingers? Maybe I'll go with @Alex Javor straightening out the fingers of 'banana hands' hahaha I loved that concept, I've never heard about it.

And regarding to your questions, here I share the concept of the character I'm doing so that you have a better idea of this. I do the retopology with Quad Draw in Maya, think it's the best one doing that and it's the standard in the game industry. 

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    The skin covers a big area of your character. Keep your texel density even and it could be a good thing to have muliple UV sets for the skin.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    take a look at that character^

not sure if you can see the 2d textures in marmoset viewer but you can display the UV checker anyway to get an idea where the seams are and how many materials are used.

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I would probably go with cutting the fingers and unwrapping them to straight cylinders.
    The advantage is you get an pretty undistorted layout - even between the fingers.
    And you can keep the hands also quite undistored because the fingers are not interfering when relaxing.
    I'm not always using this layout but if you have enough texel and mesh density it's a pretty good solution. Also it allows to pack the hands more tightly on the UV map.
    And last but not least: when have to come back to fix something and want to re-relax it's not going to try to turn into bananas again ;)

But, not cutting the fingers it not bad either.. both has advantages and disadvantages.. Best you simply try it out yourself.
  • danialanp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've consulted that and I'm going to do multiple UV sets in order to improve the quality @Crazy_pixel
    Thanks a lot for your reference @Alex Javor , I'll take a look at that because it helps me when I distribute the UV island.
    And then @rollin , I'm not gonna cut the fingers because I've straightened them and they are in a proper way now.