Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Demastered Movie Diorama Challenge] Little Shop of Horrors

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jose.D polycounter lvl 8
We decided to learn blender at our studio (most of us are Maya users), so we created a quick challenge that allows us to explore a big portion of the blender modeling toolset.
We're going to make movie-inspired dioramas, it has to be old school low poly, so we decided to "borrow" the rules and tech specs of the 2013 VG Remix Contest here at polycount.
To add a bit of extra pressure to finish the challenge we decided to post daily updates in here 😅
---
My movie is: Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

https://youtu.be/jFENSU8CmZk

Replies

• Jose.D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jose.D polycounter lvl 8
    I'm modeling the shop interior of the final act, one fo the cool things the movie is that every item on the shop get gradually upgraded as they earn money thanks to Audrey II, so, the final act has the fully equipped version.  I want to give a bit of the feeling of the stage musical adaptation, I'm modeling 3 angled walls, and Audrey II (the plant) will me attacking Seymour and Audrey (Seymour's love interest), a bit like how they're being held by vines in the poster.

Here's what I have so far:

Every character is just below 500 tris

• Jose.D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jose.D polycounter lvl 8
    Not a lot of progress 😅added a couple of props, optimized the cash register:

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Amazing, its nice to see someone doing a remix, i always want to do a few more of these but too many back logged projects atm. :) (like pokemon got to make them all! ) Hoping to see more of this, what are your end goal triangle counts? If you could get way with vine geo i think it would add a lot to this, mimicking the reference.  (singing in any movie really bugged me, even in D1sn3y movies) otherwise a classic, real nice choice. (more!)
  • Jose.D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jose.D polycounter lvl 8
    DavidCruz said:
    Amazing, its nice to see someone doing a remix, i always want to do a few more of these but too many back logged projects atm. :) (like pokemon got to make them all! ) Hoping to see more of this, what are your end goal triangle counts? If you could get way with vine geo i think it would add a lot to this, mimicking the reference.  (singing in any movie really bugged me, even in D1sn3y movies) otherwise a classic, real nice choice. (more!)
    Thank you! Well, I'm constraining myself by the VGremix rules, so ~500 tris per character and ~100 for props. Yeah, the vines have me thinking a lot, my Audrey II is currently 320 tris (it has no vines or fangs yet, it needs some fangs!), I can mimic some of the vine formations on the wall with planes, but I'm planning on holding Seymour and Audrey (love interest) with the vines as well, and they're going to be held high in the middle of the room, already did some tests using flat geo and alphas a couple of days ago, it doesn't look good at all, I might have to extend the tri count a bit for the vines. BTW you should check the rest of my colleagues' entries (they're posting on the forums as well, some of them are new to polycount), we're all learning blender, and this inside-challenge was the perfect excuse, they choose some really cool movies (I'm the only one that picked a musical 😅)
  • Jose.D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jose.D polycounter lvl 8
    Here's my update, had to change the layout a bit, is a bit wider now, have been working on polishing the characters a bit, just finished the axe and the revolver and most of the props on the right side, still missing some props here and there, the left side is going to be populated by plants and vines (I'll be having some nightmares with those vines), the rest of my colleagues are already texturing! I decided to learn Aseprite as well, let's see how those textures end up looking  :astonished: I'll try to model the rest of objects tomorrow night, so I can start working on the plants (Is a flower shop after all) and finally finish Audrey II.

• Jose.D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jose.D polycounter lvl 8
    Did the first batch of plants, I must admit is kind of refreshing to have to stop worrying about normal maps and stuff like that, but I think that I'm 3x slower doing pixel art and unlit stuff than realistic stuff 🤣 I'm not used to making this kind of assets, but is REALLY fun. Been watching a lot of tutorials, learnt how to use Aseprite, it's such a nice and useful software :) All the 10 variations are based of my first aseprite texture ever (64x64). I'll be using a 34 color palette by Gabriel Cortabraz for the whole diorama.
    I'll work on the second batch of plants on Thursday (Flowers!)

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Real nice to see these, hope everyone is still working on theirs when they have time i was looking forward to seeing these all done.  Really nice update, these looks great.