Home Unreal Engine

UE4 Static lighting seams, again...

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kligan polycounter lvl 6
I am having troubles creating modular assets. Specifically - walls and floors. I've seen countless topics on the internet and tutorials on youtube, everyone seem to run into this problem. And in those videos people tweak some lightmass world settings and magically get great results.

However, no matter what I do, if I do the same thing as they do in the video, I sill get bloody seams!

Please, ignore the glow-through upper walls, they are not finished and don't have proper lightmaps.

Anyway, as you can see, the 3x3 meter tiles on the walls, floors and ceiling all have different shading after baking light in production quality. You can also see the ligtmass settings on the screenshot.

I tried all different combinations of scale/smootheness, including the 0.1 and 10 that is being recommended in many youtube tutorials. However, I still get the different shading on the tiles all the time.

The only thing that comes to mind to fix that is merging all the tiles into a single mesh with a single lightmap. But that's exactly the opposite of the idea of creating a modular asset pack >_>

I am looking for any advice, because I'm all out of ideas.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    If you look this issue up online, you will come to the conclusion that this is a downside of baked lighting and there is no exact real solution to this other than trying to pull out your hair and tweak the lightmass settings until you minimized the visible errors. GPU lightmass coming in 4.25 hopefully won't have this issue.
  • Kligan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kligan polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, hopefully.
    Well... I guess combining tiles through merge actor tool is good for optimization anyway. And it gets rid of the seam issue. So I'll just stick with that for now.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah merge actors works although like you said it kinda defeats the purpose of modularity. You can't modify the pieces after they have benn merged.