Home Technical Talk

High poly CAD model to Low poly - Normal Map experiment

So I have a CAD model that is far to detailed and I would like to capture some of this detail in Normal maps. 

To test out my plan I chose this panel that is a cover for a section of the model, I've created a simple plane with chamfered edges to project the detail on to.

The model has some nasties, for example the corners of the panel (Below) 

Because I'm only concerned with detail from the front of the panel how would people approach this task? 
Is there a way of creating the thickness of the metal within the material?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    The edges inside those holes are perpendicular to the surface, so they won't be captured by a normal map.

Reasons why

• Dihemi
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    To remedy the artefacts in the corner you could try to import the file using STEP format (.stp). When importing do not convert the mesh and it should give you a "Body object" type mesh which retains some of the spline/nurm aspects as in CAD. It gives you some control over how the mesh is displayed. It *might* solve the corner (might is the keyword...).

• Neomace
    Thank you @Eric Chadwick sorry I didn't explain my post very well. The hexagonal vent should be an alpha channel, I wasn't sure if there was a way of showing depth within another channel? I don't expect there to be a situation where this section will be looked at closely, the camera zoom will be restricted. But I want to approach this task with as much knowledge of what can be achieved with textures.

The section I think the Normal map would work best is these indents where the screws are located.

Thank you @Dihemi this is very useful and I will certainly try your suggestions when presented with the next CAD model. Unfortunately this particular model was supplied in 3Ds format, I will pass on your information to the company that normally deals with the export/import process.
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Similar to what Eric has said, you can't really capture much normal map details from that mesh to begin with, as it doesn't have any information/edge beveling & softness at all to capture. Seems they didn't export the fillets from the CAD software properly, my best guess? You can definitely use this mesh itself for your low-res mesh to capture the proper high res detail mesh. (optimiziing the cylindrical details edge amounts of course and closing up the holes where you want to have it alpha).