Home Career & Education

Marvelous Designer [to those that use it]

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DavidCruz interpolator
Curiosity struck me and well, you could basically make all these design into reality.  
So if you wanted extra $ maybe sell the design layouts to seamstresses ? for like role play stuff and things, idk who does what i just wanted to share ^ this if nobody thought of that.

I don't use MD all that much but some of you make some nice looking clothing so i figured those that do good work like that could just go ahead and make it available to everyone at some point.  
& if anyone knows anyone doing this currently that are into games i'd like to see some designs realized. 

Replies

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I wish MD was shipped with very common outfits and pieces of clothing for everyone to use. Properly made jeans, collared shirts and hoodies, for example. Instead of creating those widely used clothing from a scratch again. Those kind of clothing are like inventing the wheel again, if done by yourself.

All new custom "sci-fi" and "fantasy" outfits are exceptions though, those are something which are very unique, and not really that common to create a library for. So you'd create them yourself, while also learning MD, obviously.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Creating a real physical garment requires some more knowledge and procedure then making it just digitally. 
    Same like producing a 3d print is not just throwing your average 3d model into the printer software
    Also noteworthy: The fashion industry rather uses clo3d as far as I know.

Also I disagree that there is something like a "common-whatever". However if you, for some reason, don't want to create a garment yourself -> MD store
    There are also a few free garments are available.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    yeah without actual sewing and tailoring knowledge this will not go well. stuff will just not sit right. in marvelous you can still fiddle stuff around until it sits correctly. in reality you need to know a fair bit more to make things work.
    MD is also not designed for this, if you wanna make real clothing CLO3d the bigger version of MD would be the tool of choice.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There is a person on youtube who makes tutorials for MD. I can't remember her name. But she is a real life seamstress in addition to using MD. She made a video explaining in detail about how making garment patterns in MD is different from real life. The takeaway I got is that MD is useful for product visualization but it is not one to one with real world patterns.

There is also some website called CGelves that you can buy a package of patterns from and it's pretty cheap. Has like 150 common clothing patterns, you just trace them in MD. And it includes fabric settings too.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    @FourtyNights - Was hoping it was possible and yea, measurements would probably be funky if the 3D model being used wasn't say a 3D clone/copy of say you or someone you know.

@Neox,@rollinCLO3d - oh thanks for the recommendation i'll look at some videos on that.

@Alex Javor - Saw some of her work once, a while back.  I think its the same lady, though i think she did mention she was in the industry at some point, so if she made the correlation to MD not working out in real life then, it makes sense especially if she is a seamstress. 

Was this her: 
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8TvrdenlitmEGs2tjnalsA
    If not when i found her some years back i was like wow these are great, never put them to use however, one of many things on the back burner.

Thanks PolyPeeps!
    Was hoping to see someone take this route, then i suppose Cyberpunk leather jacket was professionally made or do you think they made it with Clo3D so they could have it in game and in real life? probably, thinking yes - myself.

Edit:
    for the record i do have a large satin and leather cut, sitting around, for a Halloween idea i had once a long time ago.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter