Home Marmoset

Normal Map Baking Problem

Lethendris
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Lethendris polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone, I am having a problem with my normal map on my mesh with holes.

I am sharing my high poly, low poly mesh, UV layout, but I am having issues on these holes. Would you please help me on this? This is my first character bake and I am very open to suggestions.

Replies

• WillDettrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WillDettrey polycounter lvl 11
    Hey @Lethendris , You have a couple things going on here that I want to point out.

1. Your low poly mesh needs to match your high poly match as close as possible in order to correctly retain the details you are looking for.
    2. The biggest issue to point out is how normal map content is created between high and low poly geometry. Your highpoly doesn't have a change in surface angle for the normal map data to be recorded. Your highpoly geometry is extruded/thickened straight out. Normal maps can't read this as height and no data (or bad data) will be created for the thickness of the extrusion. 

I would bevel the highpoly edges (via sculpting or modeling), perhaps make the interior shell wall more varied (slight inflate & smooth), and adjust the lowpoly topology to better match the shape that the highpoly has. I hope that helps a bit!