Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] D&D Character Project

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Joseph_Bramlett polycounter lvl 4
Hey Poly Count, Ive started work on a new project that ide love to get feedback on as I work on it. Im going for three game ready character models based on a game of D&D my wife and I are playing. My hope here is to work on clothing and materials specifically and a little bit of creature art in there as well. If you have any feedback let me know. 

Replies

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the bard im working on named Sova. Im trying out a technique on the faces for this project where I try and copy the bony landmarks from an actor but fill in the rest on my own to get something natural looking but non specific. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    This is our Tiefling Warlock Hexblade called Hastur. Im unsure if I want to keep him this bulky so I might slim him down a  bit. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    This is where im at currently. Im doing block outs of their outfits in Marvelous Designer starting with their Coats/jackets. This one here is for Sova and is just the model exported straight out of Marvelous without proper topology or any sculpting on top. I havent done very many complicated pieces of clothing in Marvelous so this is a new challenge for me. If you have any feedback or tips for this process ide love to hear them. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Update On Hastur's clothing. I have finished outlining his jacket and pants in Marvelous Designer. The idea is to make all the garments separately first and then bring them into a final scene to simulate proper collision. These ZBrush renders are just to get an idea how it will look together. You can also tell in this that the model being used as an avatar isnt set up quite right and thats why im getting that polygonal look. Ill fix this before starting sculpting on the clothing.

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Update On Sova's clothing. Her shirt was quite a pain. I originally thought her shirt would take only an hour or two to put together but Figuring out how to create the pleated collar and have it create folds in a similar way to my reference was a task and took me two days to accomplish. But thats part of the goal of this project is to learn Marvelous Designer better.
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays update was getting some of the smaller clothing items in place. 
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuing the Block out phase as I start on the armor bits. Most of this is blocking out to make sure the design will be alright. For a personal project like this I have already sketched it out but like to work on the design as I model it. 
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So im still working away on this and im taking a break from working on the Male Tiefling for now as Im kind of running into a wall with what I want to do with his armor. With that being said I went back to the Female bard and have been working on a few more of her clothing pieces. I think she only has a a few more bits to add before all of her pieces are ready to be detailed but if you have any opinions on either character let me know. 

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    The Marvelous Designer work on these is awesome! I am completely overwhelmed by MD myself so I need to learn how to start getting detailed work like this! 

Twp things that are bothering me is that the male character has really short legs which became obvious to me when you added the trousers. And the female seems to have a big head, maybe that's just me, but it looks quite big in the 3/4 view.

But this is a really cool project and I look forward to seeing how it turns out :D
  • HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    The Marvelous Designer work on these is awesome! I am completely overwhelmed by MD myself so I need to learn how to start getting detailed work like this! 

Twp things that are bothering me is that the male character has really short legs which became obvious to me when you added the trousers. And the female seems to have a big head, maybe that's just me, but it looks quite big in the 3/4 view.

But this is a really cool project and I look forward to seeing how it turns out :D
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @HarlequinWerewolf! Thanks for the feedback. Im going to look at their anatomy some more because their is a feeling that the male is stumpy feeling but im not sure why that is. I went and measured them out based on their head size and they both come up to about 7 1/2 heads tall each with their key points mostly lining up. Ill post those measurements down below. 
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the armor detailing for Hastur today. I think im sticking with the half on jacket look for him as well.
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a bit less time to work on this recently but I made a point to clean up the topology on this character and add the horns to the mesh. The horns need actual sculpting on them but Im happy that the topology underneath is good to go now. 
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So ive taken a break form sculpting for the last few days and have been focusing on Modeling out some of the key props this includes the characters primary weapons and a few other odds and ends. With the swords we have from left to right the Dragon Slayer Long sword (Based off of the D&D 5e art for it), The Dancing Moon Touched Great sword and then The Hexblades Greatsword. The Hexblades greatsword is in the very early stages of blocking out and still has a bit of work to go before its ready for sculpting. 

Below that we have a Hand crossbow based off of a design I found online. The final image is a comparison off all four of them. Im sure their will be a few other items for me to make that arent key items like these but I still have the Bards Lute and Mask to model aswell. 

• Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Super interesting project I like the way your anatomy is going, looks very believable. Do you also plans for the poses and presentation?
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    @Crazy_pixel thanks for the feedback! I will end up rigging them and posing them for final renders in Marmoset. Still a long way to go before I'm there though.
  • Will_Maccabe
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_Maccabe polycounter lvl 3
    The weapons are really good designs, and well modelled.  Everything is looking good so far. 
    My critique is that I think you should work out a strap to keep that shoulder armour in place. Surely it isn't just held in place by the jacket.
    Keep going!
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    @Will_Maccabe hey thanks for the feedback. I know I need to create a strap system for the armor but I think I will do that along with the other belts and leather bits after I finish with the key items.
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So another update. I finished what I considered the Key items for the characters this included the Bards Barn Owl Mask and her Lute as well. I have been working on the process of Making the Low poly meshes and final decisions on their many many belts and leather bits. Still more to do but Hastur is almost done with his belts now. only needs the straps for his arm armor and then im off to do Sovas Belts and bag

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Belts Part 2. Today was fitting and modeling the low poly belts for Sova. Im not quite sure what step I want to tackle next after finishing the belts but i might just go ahead and finish the low poly for everything and then sculpt after thats all done. I do still have teh little create character to start as well.

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, SO ive spent the last few days preparing the files for retopo. What this meant was reopening up the Marvelous Designer Files and exporting a 3D and 2D version of each mesh I created in the program. When done properly you can export these with UV's so the retopo part of the project is much easier. So thats what Ive been doing. I decided to start the retopo with the male character because i was curious to see how the Jacket would transfer considering how complicated of a mesh it is but what would you know it worked perfect. Im not sure these is the final low poly for any of this yet as I might go back and add things like button holes or what not but things are moving forward. I have the womans Marvelous Models ready to go aswell so it will just be retopo for the next few days. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So Im at a pretty good point with retopo on these characters now. Hastur here just needs some proper Uvs and probably a zbrush projection test or two on certain clothing items to make sure that my topo will take the high poly info correctly. You might notice some clipping of meshes here and thats because Im making sure that the low poly models align with their corresponding high poly models so that projection will be easier. After I get these all back into Zbrush for sculpting Things will be moved properly into place and that will make the finalized low poly models. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    This is Sova's topology as of now. She has the same clipping issues that the above comment talks about But I think she is pretty close to being ready for UV's as well. I think im going to finally start on our third character. The little Homunculous named Lev. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is my first sculpt pass at Lev the Homunculous. This will be my first real creature/monster sculpt and Im pretty happy with where its gone so far. There is a reference board for him at the bottom of this post with my design of him next to the official D&D art of a homunculous and a picture of one of our cats. My design is quite a departure from the official art as I wanted him to fit a specific role in our D&D campaign. Basically a little loveable demon similar to the character of Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. You might even see a lot of visual similarities in the design as I realized while designing the character that Stitch and the D&D art werent that far removed from one another. I did use some Imm Monster Parts for things like the ears, wings, feet and hands to help get a jump start on this character. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message

Topology for Lev should be mostly done. I want to give a few problem spots/dense spots another look over But I think It all came together ok. I'll have tomorrow off from this project so I will take a step back and think what my next step should be. probably Uv unwrapping everything and starting Projection test. 
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    After a series of other projects im happy to say im back to working on these characters. Im in the Uv unwrapping phase and have posted the layouts for all three characters down below. Let me know if you have suggestions for how to better optimize whats here.

Hastur UV

Sova UV

Lev UV

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some updates on preparing the model for final sculpts. Im starting to project the detail from the original high poly to low poly and its working out pretty well I think but i am going back to modify some of the low poly for better silhouette. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more projection work today. The jacket for Hastur here was a bit tricky to make sure the Marvelous detail would all come over with limited clean up. Thankfully Lev was really easy. Sova is all thats left and then its on to proper final sculpting and textures. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycount. Im back on this project after being swamped with other projects for the last few weeks. I wanted to try out some skin painting as I know its a challenge for me, especially when working outside of natural skin tones. Im also trying out some tattooing on this guy as well. None of the color maps info here is final as i havent even done the micro normal detail yet for the skin and ill need that for curve maps and what not. However let me know what you think of the general colors adn feel of the skin as of now regardless.

The bottom image shows three variations on hair for this guy. all slightly different takes on the same style but Ide be interested on what you prefer. Im very early in on the hair and am still in the block out phase of it before doing mid and breakup layers. 

Once i get his hair done im going back to the female bard and getting her caught up to where this tiefling is. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres some hair card updates for these guys. let me know what you think. Their is some clipping happening in the brunette which is easy enough to fix and for the male the end of his hair gets a little samey so ill mess with that for sure. Ide really like the hair to be the best ive doen so far for in engine use so any feedback will be appreciated. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the pieces i made for these models seem a bit misguided looking at them now as to when i first started on this project. Certain topological layouts and densities specifically. I also have learned a few techniques since starting on these characters that im interested in trying out here so I wanted to see what I currently have thats use able and what needs to be updated and fixed. I thought getting some basic textures going on the model would help me read the situation better so thats what I did. The leather belts still need a lot of sculpting work before they are any where near ready and some colors im not sold on quite yet. But I want to know what you think. any feedback you have for me at this stage would be great. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres another update. Ive worked on getting his leather further along but still need to spend more time on his other materials and his skin  still as i haven't done the secondary or micro details there yet. Im curious on feedback about colors material distinction and any other feedback you might have. Im currently getting the other character sova to a similar position so i can rest my eyes from this character for a little bit.

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey so this is an update on Sova. Just blocking out the materials for Sova now. Let me know what you think. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres some texture updates. The updated Textures include the back pack. The arming Belt. The Blouse and the Jacket. The blouse and the jacket are still in Need of a lot more attention But I wanted to get them a bit closer to the right material. As always appreciate C&C

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycount, I had thought i had posted a more recent set of screen shots but i guess i not. Ive spent most of my time fleshing out more of this characters textures and have maybe 90% of them at a decent spot. Some things like the shoulder tassels havent really been touched yet and other things like the boots im thinking of recoloring. I did finally get around to doing a skin pass on this character and while i think it needs more work I am still quite happy with where its at. I think its time to go back to the other character and bring him closer to where she is. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So here are some new renders of Radek. I spent most of my time on his skin recently and I think its turned out pretty good but let me know what you think as well. Maybe you see something I dont. Out side of his skin Ive spent some time updating the textures on his coat. Previously their was to much height information where the jacket was supposed to have faded and worn out which ultimately made it look less fabric like. I tried to imitate the fabric used for the coats in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies as I found a pretty intricate cosplay sight that had lots of reference for that. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So heres a minor update. I decided to start texturing Radeks Weapons. In the iamge below from Lef to right you have a Hex Blade Greatsword, a Dancing Moontouched Greatsword and its sheath.

For the Hex Blade i wanted it to be really rough and at a glance seem like raw metal. Something thats so old and beat up that it probably couldnt even cut anything. I think this quote from Berserk really gets the idea across, "It was too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed, it was a heap of raw iron." This weapon draws its power from Radeks warlock patreon so the sword is more a conduit for magic than it is actually a sword.  It also has an inscription in Infernal, a dnd language, that alludes to the origins of this weapon where it was originally an ornate knife given to the character by their lover that has now been transformed by the Warlock patron. 

The Dancing Moontouched Greatsword is kind of the complete opposite of the hex blade. Its supposed to look like a very ornate ornamental sword. One that probably wasn't meant to be used for combat and was more of a very valuable gift used in ceremonies. I tried to incorporate some DnD lore with references to the moon god in the design as well as a poem about the moon god written in celestial, another dnd language, written on the blade. 

• LokiDokie
    Offline / Send Message
    LokiDokie polycounter lvl 7
    Your MD work is amazing and your skin looks really good on him now :) only thing id say is making his horns a different colour and maybe more of a bone like material :) 
    Id maybe addd a bit of damage to the bottom of the jacket to.
    but he look awesome :) excited to see them both finished
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    @LokiDokie
    Thank you so much for the feedback! I agree with your suggestions and when I get back to working on him ill work on those changes for sure!

So for my next post on this project Ive been working on the props for sova. Thisincludes an Owl Mask, a Lute, A Dragon Slayer longsword and a hand crossbow. Let me know what you think. I feel like they all still need work but please let me know what you think is and isnt working about them.

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again. While I have done some more work on the props for Sova I wanted to show that I started working on the Homunculi Lev. Im excited about where he is already but he has a lot of work to go. Im really interested to start working on hair cards for him as I am going to try out a kind of Fur Shell hair card combo that I think could work really well. Something Similar to what they did with Red XIII in FF7 remake. As always let me know what you think and if you have any feedback for me.

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So I might finally be entering the last few weeks of work on this project. Ive decided to take a step back and look at the characters as  they stand now and make a list of what things I still want to work on. Let me know what changes you think I should make or if there is anything in my list I might be forgetting. 

Radek (Red Tiefling Male)
    -          Skin
    -          Inner Eye (Made)
    -          Short Hair Details
    -          Horns
    -          Teeth(Made)
    -          Eyes
    -          Jacket bottom wear
    -          Pants refinement
    -          Leather Belts thinner geometry
    -          Metal Armor Material
    -          Leather Belt Refinement
    -          Bandolier Belt Buckle
    -          Boots
    Lev (Little Grey Homunculi Creature)
    -          Eye
    -          Teeth
    -          Nails
    -          Wing joints
    -          SSS
    -          Whiskers
    Sova (Bard Woman)
    -          Makeup
    -          Inner Eye
    -          Teeth
    -          Knee Bad
    -          Shoulder Feathers

• LokiDokie
    Offline / Send Message
    :D these are coming along super nice, perhaps a dirt pass on both the character? I feel like as adventures they would be abit dirtier (mostly there clothes) , I know my DnD party gets in some pretty messy situations.

But other than that am super excited to see your finished pieces :D are you going to pose them in a scene?
  • tysiu
    Offline / Send Message
    tysiu keyframe
    The red demon's name is Radek? That's hilarious :D 
    I'm in love with the clothes design on both of them. All those details and fabrics, amazing job.
  • birb
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    I love how these are coming along. The clothes are not only beautiful but well finished!

I feel Sova is looking more aged than you intend. Here are some suggestions to correct it with a quick overpaint to help explaining if that's okay. 

1 - Fill in her upper eyelids
    They're too sunk for her age. Usually when you have a noticeable eye socket you'll see the crest of the bottom part as well, but we can't in this case, making it read almost like a second eyelid fold instead. If it should read like a fold it should be closer to the main fold, not over the socket edges. This ages her because this area is should be more firm and full in younger people.

Also soften and blend in the red tint with the rest of the skin beyond the region covering the eyeballs, as it's looking a bit too red and irritated, something also seen in older people.

2 - This one is useful for Radek too: Adjust the hair length and growing pattern of her eyebrows
    There's no pattern-fits-it-all, you'll need to look at eyebrows of people with similar bone structure for reference. It's almost certain though that the hair will point outwards or down from the middle/peak to the end of the eyebrows.

A nice trick to get a good-looking "raring" effect without it becoming too harsh due aliasing constraints is to paint the skin under the eyebrows after styling them. This way you can use cards with fewer hairs where there should be fewer and still achieve a natural and soft look.

3 - Add a bit of clumping to the eyelashes / check the upper waterline
    You did a nice job on the eyelashes length. Adding a bit more of clumping and random variation should make them more readable.

One thing that needs attention is the angle of the upper waterline. I don't know if it's the transparency of the root of the eyelashes or the angle of the eyelids, but we shouldn't be able to see this much of the upper waterline.

4 - Soften nose-cheeks plane transition
    If you overdo that nose-cheek plane change in a manner it's visible from all angles it reads as puffiness or aged skin. It'd be better to rely on real geometry alone to describe this plane change and reinforce the planes around the eye socket instead, so you still have interesting changes going on without making her look too gaunt.

5 - Review mouth width
    I feel her mouth is a bit too wide for her jaw size. When in doubt trace a line from the middle of the eyeballs to get an average mouth width.

6 - Add a bit of lateral volume, reduce chin height by lowering the end of mouth supporting volume
    She'll look more her apparent age and without changing her bone structure at all.

7 - Make chin plane changes more evident
    Her chin is very round right now. It'll have a more interesting and natural silhouette if you make the lateral and bottom plane changes a bit more evident.

I hope this helps. Since I can only guess who you used as reference please ignore what doesn't apply.
    I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message

@LokiDokie Thanks for the kind words. I plan to grime them up a bit and am still planning to try some of the suggestions you made earlier as well. Adding some tears to the bottom of Radek’s coat is something I hope to be doing today. I plan to pose them each separately and have one group pose of them. Beyond that I want to 3D print them out as miniatures for our dnd game.

@tysiu Im really glad to hear you like the clothing. I stated it earlier in the thread that clothing and materials were a priority for me here so im glad that’s coming through.

@birb Thank you so much for the paint over and feedback. A lot of your changes I agree with and I will try my best to implement.  For the reference I actually used Eddie Redmayne as that’s who my wife said her character of Sova looked most like. I think a number of the things you outlined are results of trying to keep certain key aspects of the actors face while also trying to make it more in line with our idea of the character. Hopefully its apparent but the point wasn’t to do a likeness study but use the reference as a way to make the character more humanistic looking and less just an ideal. The same is true for Radek with his reference model being Tom Hiddleston. I was able to show my wife your paint over last night and she likes a lot of the changes you made! I will be trying to take your advice and improve Sova and Radek accordingly. Thank you again!

• birb
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Aha, that explains a couple of things! I was picking on a cluster of strong traits that don't occur often all at the same time on women's faces.

Borrowing liberally from other faces with similar features can help a lot when adapting a likeness. Example: Rose Leslie's eye x eyebrow relationship and chin configuration. Her facial structure feels similar to the one you're aiming for, but differences in the chin planes and sharpness change the way it integrates into her face—it's still prominent, yet softer. It's not like women can't have longer faces or taller chins, the main difference is how the underlying structure (narrower jaws, rounder dental arches) changes our perception of those. In case of women's it tends to create a triangular shape running from the sides of the chin to the bottom of the temples.

Study the traits that would help to adapt your main reference, ignore what won't. Rose's cheeks are completely different from Eddie's and Sova's. Looking at a different faces with equally interesting mouth-jaw-cheekbones transitions (eg Astrid Berges-Frisbey) can provide with you a framework to fill in the gaps.

Again, this only concerns trying to apply a a set of usual... "consequences"? of using certain features in a face (like "these lips are often accompanied by these nose types"). Good characterization is about strategically stepping outside this zone and going beyond the bland common faces for a given place and culture.

In any case, you're doing a fantastic job! As a fellow TTRPG player I have a soft spot for this sort of project and those character designs hint at a pretty fun world.
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Since its been about a week since my last update I wanted to post some newer pics. Ive been checking off and adding a bunch of stuff on my to do list for these characters with my time currently split pretty evenly between them all. Ive tried to implement some of the feedback ive received and Still plan to add more of it going forward. Im currently working on Lev and think i will go back and sculpt and texture his wings again to get a more defined look. As all ways feedback is appriciated!
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    So heres a small update. Ive been continuing to tweak the models and their textures but im getting to the end of this project so i wanted to start doing test poses so i can get a more final look going on. Ive done a simple rig for Radek here and done what I think will be his main pose for presenting and maybe 3d printing. This is a block out of the pose though so feel free to give feedback on any of it. Im still refining the skinning of the model and will likely take him back into zbrush to sculpt on an expression for him as well. 

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all so im curious for your opinions on which pose you like better. The one one the Left or the one on the right. Im still in the blocking out faze so ignore the clipping and stretched polygons for now, im just trying to figure out which look i like more. 

• LokiDokie
    Offline / Send Message
    Soo i love the movement on Radek but I feel like the arm swinging forward seems abit stiff/awkward. Am guessing hes throwing the other sword? It looks a bit strange atm but maybe its just because its blocking out not sure.

i really like sovas left pose even with her hand sticking up around the sword it looks cool. I think the left ones better for leading lines to the face my eye kind of just stops on the right one.