Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Superman Sculpture

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
RamonBelmonte polycounter lvl 2
Hi there!

I want to start a new project to push my skills in 3D Character Modelling. My goal is to create a sculpture of Superman to improve the creation of a male anatomy, and to learn how to sculpt clothes and accessories properly. This is my first time doing a character, I just create some environment assets in Maya. Please, give me any feedback you can to improve!

My plan is to start with a sphere in Zbrush, doing a correct blocking there, and then start with the anatomy proccess. Also, I will use Zbrush to block the accessories and later export them to Maya to make a manual retopology, creating the hard surface pieces. I'm not gonna texture this character, because I want to focus in the sculp process. And if I do it right, I want to cut the model for 3D Print.  :)

This is my PureRef reference board:

Replies

• RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first blocking I did in Zbrush, but after a few hours looking at it, I decided to delete and start again. I think a lot of stuffs are failling in the blocking, like the curvature of the model, the position of the legs, the shoulders, and the head. Also the perspective was to high while I was creating it, so the model looks like if he was a bow. 

So, I started again, and this is the result. What do you think?

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I mention nothing about C&C but mention helpful information that may be beneficial to the user.

Nice start so i would suggest getting a lot more anatomy references, i mean i have a lot when i do this stuff or used to and the hardest parts for me to find references for are the interior arm and leg portions, luckily with enough searching you can find them also this link here Should be monumentally helpful to your goal.
    If you can see my sig, i mention a good technique that should help with this very design, this block out you created is exactly what i meant by create the silhouette so you are spot on to utilize the information included in the 2 images i provided in the guide.

You can do as you wish, looks like a fun project, looking forward to more.
  • RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comment @DavidCruz! I forgot to say it before, but I'm doing the anatomy sculpt based on Anatomy for Sculptors, my book of reference for these things. It's incredible how detailed and helpful it is. And yes, focusing into the shape and creating good proportions are fundamental before adding details, to improve the final model. 
  • RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I've been working so hard with this fella, and this is the next step in the blocking. I'm trying to focus into the main shapes and muscles, without build any of them yet. I deleted the hands because I'm a disaster doing it, so I'm gonna try separately.

• RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is another update of the anatomy proccess. I made the hands and the feets, and cut the principal parts from the basic mesh to work better with different dynamesh. When the blocking will be finish, I will start with zremesher and subdivision workflow, to add details to the mesh. I'm making the body a bit bigger to fit with the "Superman style". What do you think? 
  • RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working into the chest, shoulders, arms and  the general shape of the body. Also I started with the face. These are some close ups of the character. Next step: finish the body and start to add details to the mesh. 

• oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
  • RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback @oreoorbitz !!

I've been working to finish the model before start with the hard surface stuffs, but I think I just 'inflated' to much the body muscles, losing the main shapes. I'm going to re-do all the final proccess to achieve a better look, more defined. 

• RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, after a lot of hard work, I can finally share the final anatomy model for the Superman sculpture. I've just added more details to the mesh, breaking the symmetry, and finishing the muscles. I think look better than before. What do you think?

And this is a close up of the head with a random hair: 

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Do you happen to have side view of this guy ?
  • RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you happen to have side view of this guy ?
    Yes! But I didn't take a render when I was doing the anatomy process. I have one with the final model, but posed. 

I have been working these days into the hard surface of the Superman. I create the accesories of the suit, and also the base. I will post the final results very soon! 
  • kanga
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice work. Did you sculpt a dynamesh? It's looking a little wobbly, like you went too high too fast. The pecs look a bit flat and the lower leg looks bumpy. Also the feet look a little off. Love the upper body back view.
  • RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Nice work. Did you sculpt a dynamesh? It's looking a little wobbly, like you went too high too fast. The pecs look a bit flat and the lower leg looks bumpy. Also the feet look a little off. Love the upper body back view.
    I started with dynamesh to block the body and the main shapes, and when I finished the body, I change the dynamesh to the subdivision workflow (to project and subdivision) to add details. But yes, the lower leg looks like a rough sea. Also, it was my first time doing a foot, so... I need to improve the process until I achieve a good result. Thank you for your reply!!
  • RamonBelmonte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And finally, after a lot of work, I can call it done for now! Here is some renders done in Maya, with Arnold. Hope you like it guys!

Also I did a polypaint render inside Zbrush (but I don't like it to much):