• Udjani
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man, whats your pc specs? 

Teraflops! 
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu sublime tool
    A Geforce 2080 Ti does come close to 14 TFlops.
    And the new 3080 ti coming later this year will be even faster.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp sublime tool
    A little hard to imagine for me that a system like that is going to come in at the usual console price point. Assuming they are not planning to charge a lot more for the hardware, can we perhaps assume that content will shoot up in price across the board to compensate?

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu sublime tool
    Agreed thats strange. Also those ultra fast SSDs arnt cheap.
    But i fear its needed if they want to fire up the Graphics on a 8k TV.
    You need a lot of more pore for the same image.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp sublime tool
    I wonder if this is just the top of the line model then selling at a much higher price than regular consoles. I seem to recall they were planning different tiers for their console, so perhaps the mortal tier which games might actually target as a baseline will turn out a good deal weaker. There must be a catch here - 899 price point or pricey mandatory paid-for online service required or ... ? 

I would not expect anything better than a Geforce 2060 in a 400-ish console but perhaps my pricing meter is way way off thanks to Nvidia. I'm currently looking at purchasing an RTX 2080 Ti to significantly boost work and all I can say is 'ouch' looking at their prices!

Teraflops per dollar aside a console in my mind is still a relatively quiet device that is not supposed to rack up an impressive power bill. Placed in the kids' room and all that. Or am I totally out of touch?

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz sublime tool
    thomasp said:
    a console in my mind is still a relatively quiet device that is not supposed to rack up an impressive power bill. Placed in the kids' room and all that. Or am I totally out of touch?

Only nintendo still make low powered consoles. Starting back in the 360/PS3 generation Sony/MS consoles all use between 3-5x the wattage compared to Nintendo consoles in the same generation.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu sublime tool
  • oglu
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin interpolator
    I would guess the hardware is heavily subsidized as they probably first want to draw you into their whole system and then the system will come with more options to monetize over the whole live circle of the hardware. 
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop greentooth
    Wow. I thought it's all going to be cloud from now on
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    -AMD's Ryzen 7 2700 $135 ($200 now, but they've dropped to $135 on sale)
    -RTX 2080 $620 (that's what the Gears 5 demo suggested for PC equivalent hardware performance) 
    -1TB NVME SSDs are $130 (Console's are likely higher performance, but they will get bulk discounts)
    + extra ram ($50?), PSU ($30), Bluray drive ($50), case ($30)

We're talking about $1,100 worth of PC hardware, likely in $500 - $600 consoles. 

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz sublime tool
    Yep these new consoles are looking like a serious bargain compared to similarly speced PCs. The custom tech for removing NVMe bottlenecks also means the PS5 will probably be significantly faster at loading games then even very high end PCs. I'm also curious to see what all this new audio tech will mean for game design (will different materials start having their own individual sound profiles? Surfaces such as marble and wood reflect sounds in very different ways after all).

That said, I am a bit disappointed that the rumors of full backwards compatibility for PS1/PS2/PS3 games, like what MS has for their old consoles, seem to have been wrong.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi sublime tool
    yeah, only Ps4 games last I checked. Still have my Ps1, bought back in 1996 would've been great to play mech warrior 2,on it
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin interpolator
    So how high are the chances we can simply turn them into xbox-windows or ps-windows computers? Because nowadays a console makes no sense to me. Except maybe something like the switch which has at least some kind of unique form factor 
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu sublime tool
    For xbox its the case right now. Microsoft is releasing the same games for win10.
    Just grab a xbox controller and you are up and running.
    https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

Edit: i saw you would like to install win10 on an xbox. I dont think thats so easy they are really unique hardware.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp sublime tool
    rollin said:
    So how high are the chances we can simply turn them into xbox-windows or ps-windows computers? Because nowadays a console makes no sense to me. Except maybe something like the switch which has at least some kind of unique form factor 
    Pretty sure the answer to that is ...zero! Consoles are all about DRM after all.

Besides - after a few RROD's and YLOD's I've encountered as well as the strangely bendy plastic casing of my PS4 Pro I think they are just the cheapest POS hardware imaginable. Definitely not built like a half-decent PC.

But I do see the point for playing games (over a PC). I'd absolutely not want to wrestle with intrusive installs and copy protection schemes on Windows. Also no performance puzzle to get the most out of shadow resolution and whatnot before performance goes south. That plus the seamless way controllers work and you don't get coil whine in your audio unlike my GPUs which all have been buzzing like a swarm of flies.

• haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 10
    PolyHertz said:
    That said, I am a bit disappointed that the rumors of full backwards compatibility for PS1/PS2/PS3 games, like what MS has for their old consoles, seem to have been wrong.
    Assume thats what they will be using PS Now for. Havent tried it though since I remember looking through the PS2 list and it was quite small though this was a while ago
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer polycounter lvl 14
    The new Xbox is like an actual PC, but it looks like something much better (a computer with the same specs is very expensive). Add a gaming mouse with its keyboard, and Windows 10, and we'll have the best selling machine in the world.

Do you imagine using Office, photoshop, painter, clip studio, Zbrush, or Blender with a Xbox Series X? It would be great, and well, i know it already, it's just a dream. But like too many of you, i use a Xbox with my PC monitor, and the Xbox controller with my PC.

Like Rollin said, a console makes no sense nowadays. And more taking into consideration that with Microsoft we have almost all latest games with the label: "Xbox Play Anywhere". You buy a physical xbox copy for example (an empty DVD box with a serial you need to activate online), and you can play the Windows/PC version aswell. so DRM?

Too many games are now free to play, and the trend is to make all online, or account binded with a digital key we previosly bought. Just look the new Call of Duty Battle Royale, or Genshin Impact. Or the android videogame market, paid games are just a few compared to free games with its accounts.

Times are changing, we have porwerful computers on our hands, and sooner or later, all will be a computer/device connected to the internet.

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 15
    I think those of you stating that consoles make no sense, are only thinking of your own scenario, and not the way other people play games. Sure, many of us have PCs, that we can use for gaming, but there are still MANY people who don't have gaming capably PCs, nor the money to buy one. As already mentioned, this gets them higher PC specs, and a much more achievable price.

Not to mention, there are still a lot of gamers who use a TV in their living room. They want a small/unobtrusive machine, to sit under the TV. Hell, parents will still get their kids consoles, without buying them an expensive PC. 

I get the point though, that the lines are starting to blur, especially with MS giving PC access to many of their console games. Especially now that cross platform is starting to take off.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman polycounter lvl 7
    Mostly curious as of PS5 VR. :)