Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique on UE4 Asian Street

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RickyVarun polycounter lvl 3
Hi!

I wanted to get some critique on my recent scene which is made using Maya, Substance, and Unreal.  I made this scene for realtime purposes, for games. I am new to polycount so I started with a finished scene.

Please let me know what do you think.

Cheers!

Artstation Link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xzR0KR

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    looks good but here's how you can improve it:
    1. green - the mirroring is visible on all axes. im guessing that your mesh doesn't tile very well and you resorted to mirroring. modularity is good but it doesn't mean to do only meshes that repeat indefinitely. make a corner mesh or cover that mirroring with some decals/edge wear.
    2. light blue - avoid repetition like that, if there are 2 or more objects that are the same and with the same texture its going to be very noticeable.
    3. red - cant see what they are, i presume garbage but again, they are identical and really hard to read.

now for some things that don't make sense:
    4. orange - i might be wrong but i never seen bricks starting like that, they usually start placing them from the bottom up and that border that comes in front of them isn't added after the brick wall, its done first as the foundation of the building.
    5. purple - water doesn't stay like that on a surface if there is a hole near it, it finds a way to infiltrate the ground or just falls in the hole because covers are not airtight, or watertight in this case. also, the water looks really deep, if only some tiles are barely visible...

not done yet :)
    - visible repetition on the window shades.
    - bricks have no shadow.
    also, if you are going to use a mesh instead of tessellation or POM, do some proper UVs or at least a triplanar - too much texture stretching on the sides of the bricks.

Best of luck!
  • RickyVarun
    Offline / Send Message
    RickyVarun polycounter lvl 3
    teodar23 said:
    looks good but here's how you can improve it:
    1. green - the mirroring is visible on all axes. im guessing that your mesh doesn't tile very well and you resorted to mirroring. modularity is good but it doesn't mean to do only meshes that repeat indefinitely. make a corner mesh or cover that mirroring with some decals/edge wear.
    2. light blue - avoid repetition like that, if there are 2 or more objects that are the same and with the same texture its going to be very noticeable.
    3. red - cant see what they are, i presume garbage but again, they are identical and really hard to read.

now for some things that don't make sense:
    4. orange - i might be wrong but i never seen bricks starting like that, they usually start placing them from the bottom up and that border that comes in front of them isn't added after the brick wall, its done first as the foundation of the building.
    5. purple - water doesn't stay like that on a surface if there is a hole near it, it finds a way to infiltrate the ground or just falls in the hole because covers are not airtight, or watertight in this case. also, the water looks really deep, if only some tiles are barely visible...

not done yet :)
    - visible repetition on the window shades.
    - bricks have no shadow.
    also, if you are going to use a mesh instead of tessellation or POM, do some proper UVs or at least a triplanar - too much texture stretching on the sides of the bricks.

Best of luck!

Thanks!

There are some good points there, I will definitely try and not repeat the same mistakes in the future!!  Thanks again!