Home Technical Talk

How should someone unwrap rounded edges with multiple edge loops

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JordanDaushvili polycounter lvl 5
So my project is still ongoing but i know that i will run into this problem later on when it comes to baking normals

so what is the correct way to unwrap a corner like that ?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no one way to unwrap.

Just use general rules of thumb, and see how it works.
    • Try to use as few seams as possible. 
    • Try to remove distortion as much as possible. 
    • Add more cuts when distortion is difficult to Relax out. 
    • Straighten UV sections to minimize antialias jaggies. 
    • Etc.

Start small, test your assumptions on 1 part of your mesh. Make the changes you need, and re-do it. Repeat until you can't stand it anymore, or you run out of time.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Uv#UV_Tutorials_.26_Threads
  • JordanDaushvili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay! @Eric Chadwick i am familiar with the rules of unwraping but i was wondering how would a pro approach this unwrapping because i tend to get seams that are exactly in the middle of the bevel. Thank you nonetheless   

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show what your seam looks like, on a final result.

In general you shouldn't be seeing seams at all in the final model, regardless of where they are, unless something is wrong. Normal map tangent space mismatch, lack of padding between UVs, texel size mismatches, strong normal map gradients causing poor MIPs, etc.
  • JordanDaushvili
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick ill get back to you with the seams when I get there. Probably in couple of days and again thanks
  • FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter

To add to what Eric has already mentioned, some other things to consider when deciding where to place UV seams are: hard edges, player viewing angle and existing seams / splits on the object.

Try to hide UV seams where they can't be seen or won't be noticed. The split between multiple parts, clothing seams and other natural shape transitions or object splits can be good places to hide UV seams. Another option is to put the UV seams in an area that's normally facing away from the players point of view. This can on the back, top or bottom of an object. Wherever the player is least likely to look.

Here's an example of a basic rectangle with some round-overs and chamfers. It's a very limited example but it illustrates how certain seams will be more visible than others, depending on the player's point of view. Again this is something you'll have to work through and do some bake tests on to figure out what the optimum layout is for your unwrap.