Home Technical Talk

Zbrush to 3ds max problems...help!!

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hi...guys

I'm new to displacment maps and exporting mesh from zbrush to 3ds max for rendering. here is my brad pitt likeness i have sculpted in zbrush. i'm not sure about what i have done. i have UVs in Zbrush wrapping them with UV master, worked on a clone...coped uv freom the clone to my main mesh to make my displacment maps. exported my mesh to 3ds max...applied my displacement to vray skin MT and to my displace modifier. and this happens. need help please through my first portrait :)   

Replies

• Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    It seems your displacement modifier is using planar mapping instead of an existing UV. Scroll a little down the modifier and mark the "Use Existing Mapping" box. Make sure the correct UV channel is selected.

• MoSaleh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi said:
    It seems your displacement modifier is using planar mapping instead of an existing UV. Scroll a little down the modifier and mark the "Use Existing Mapping" box. Make sure the correct UV channel is selected.

i found that i need to use Vraydisplacmentmod modifier if i'm using Vray. the problem that i don't get any changes in the render viewport. i changed the mesh i'm using so it becomes more simple and clear where the problem is. used a sphere in zbrush and subdivisioned it to have a highpoly mesh and used a zbrush alpha then exported displacement and the lowest poly mesh. sdly nothing seems to happen, dont know what i'm missing during this process. (used uv master to make sphere uvs)

lowpoly mesh imported to max (lowest subdivision)

lowpoly mesh imported to max (lowest subdivision) 
    *showing displacement map setting if there is something wrong...scale isset to 5.9 as i used "get scale" in mult map exporter, someone told me it would help but it didn't* 
     highpoly mesh 
    max viewports with the "nothing changes problem :/ "
  • Dihemi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dihemi polycounter lvl 2
    Hey MoSaleh, I do not use VRay myself, so I can't help you with the specifics of the VRayDisplacementMod. But I'd argue Max's default displacement modifier should also work with VRay; It adjusts the geometry before rendering (but again; I do not have/use VRay).

However, if the VRayDisplacementMod is anything alike Max's default displacement you'll need some extra geometry for the displacement to take effect. Try placing an OpenSubdiv or Turbosmooth modifier underneath your displacement modifier. Give it some iterations and see if it does anything (for simplicity; your texture can also be tested on a simple plane. If the setup works on the plane, but not on your sphere, there's probably something wrong with your sphere's UVs).
    Image above shows how geometry fidelity affects the displacement.

Hope it helps.
  • MoSaleh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I solved the problem......exporting displacement map with 0.5 mid value, then importing it to the Vraydisplacementmod and rising Amount to high value like 40 and set shift to -20 which worked well. i thick this happed due to not scaling the model in zbrush properly.