Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sewer Slime

filipblom
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
filipblom polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I last posted something here. This scene is based on my commute back and forth to work, and I decided to keep the scene quite small for the sake of time. I also wanted something special to happen in the scene, which led up to the slime/ooze coming out of the sewers. I love to hear any type of critique or feedback on this piece so I can bring it to the next level. 

Reference:

Replies

• filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Replaced 2D planes of dripping slime with 3D models. I also added some more bubbles to the "tentacle" so it doesn’t look so perfect in form (probably need further adjustments)

• filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Experimenting with some variation on the tentacle
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Honestly, I couldn't tell that this was a tentacle. I thought it was slime dripping off of the concrete structure. Is it pushing up that circular piece of grating? If so, the tentacle looks really small for that.

Here's something I saw on artstation recently that could be inspirational -- check out the back of the house: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybLNlK
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner said:
    Honestly, I couldn't tell that this was a tentacle. I thought it was slime dripping off of the concrete structure. Is it pushing up that circular piece of grating? If so, the tentacle looks really small for that.

Here's something I saw on artstation recently that could be inspirational -- check out the back of the house: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ybLNlK
    Thanks for the feedback and also for the extra reference. I’ll rework the slime tentacle with this in mind.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    i think the thing should emit a lot more green light around it.
    also the scene is kinda dark and hard to read...
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    i think the thing should emit a lot more green light around it.
    also the scene is kinda dark and hard to read...
    I'll add some extra support lights to have it emit more light. Will see if that brightens the scene up or if I need to bump up the exposure
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with new shapes for the slime. Tweaked the lighting as well, will be experimenting with some extra bounce light tomorrow. Will also add some slime under the flying manhole cover, since it's looking to clean right now.

• filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's been a while since I've had time to work on the scene. Added some bounce lighting and worked on just minor things. 
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not super happy with the slime tentacle, so I'm trying a new approach to this scene

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    You could also try a different type of mutated creature coming out of the man-hole.

Now, what else could potentially be found in that kind of storm drain sewer? Perhaps something amphibious, or maybe an aquatic reptile. Like say. . . a turtle for example.
    And, if this scene you are making is meant to be in the realm of 'game art', this hypothetical mutated turtle could have some sort of combat skill for fighting N.P.C's and the like. Maybe the combat skill could have some kind of cultural or historical inspiration and even help define the character's aesthetic. I'm just spit-balling here but I think something like a Shinobi or Ninja could work.
    Also, if you want to go the extra mile, you could design this character to appeal a specific demographic. Just as an example, maybe young adults between the ages of 13 and 19. The character could be written to be in that same age group (let's call it, "teenagers") to make it easier for the target audience to relate to your character. 

It's just a rough idea off the top of my head though. You don't have to add a character exactly like that to your scene, just whatever feels right to you.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I wonder if adding some particle density, like turbidity might help with its appearance, so it looks heavier like sludge.
    Something like these fatbergs
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/feb/18/dont-feed-fatberg-museum-london-clogging-sewers-oil
    At the moment the glow gives it a more radioactive waste look.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    If you added a slight red tint to the concrete environment, it would really make the green pop. Right now the tentacle is a super saturated thing in a super desaturated environment, and it kinda doesn't blend in. Looks cool though. I would have added more bumps along the tentacle to break up the silhouette.
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I’ll test it out and see what I can come up with! 
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some red tint to all concrete, probably not want to bump the color value too much. 

Still experimenting with the slime or toxic waste as it more has become right now.

• Sora123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sora123 polycounter lvl 5
    My take you can make the scene dark and give the powerplant a light contour like on this picture instead of a vaque background
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sora123 said:
    My take you can make the scene dark and give the powerplant a light contour like on this picture instead of a vaque background
    Thank you, I'll do some tests with this. I don't want the eye to be drawn too much to the background, so I'll see what the results will end up like 
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some extra buildings in the background and some lights to the cooling towers

• filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a vertex pass on the road since it was very boring

• filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned the truck over to its side so it made more sense why the barrels had fallen out of the truck. Also made a new snow material for the sidewalks that have bike tracks and footprints

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This looks great :)
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really lost motivation to complete this piece, but force my way through it. Would love some extra feedback since I think I've hit a roadblock and don't know what to improve and I think it still isn't good enough to be posted on Artstation yet.

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The reason for losing motivation is because the idea wasnt well flushed out. If you would have thought about it more you would have realised that the idea is meh. Its just not that interesting. So you either add more to the idea or change it completely.
    Thats my opinion about the concept. The scene suffers from some issues as well, but nothing major. Biggest problem is the lighting. Where does all that light come from? The moon? Ok i believe that in some nights the moon light is quite bright but no way is it capable of lighting the ceiling of a bridge or tunnel entrance with indirect light.
    The goo is generating light through the barrel and not enough to light the environment around it apart from the ground. Also, the goo has become this medium importance thing in your scene which goes to show that you realised that you dont like the idea very much so you kinda pushed it to the side - conciously or subconciously. 
    The background is kinda distracting and i agree that it plays in with the story of the scene but it can be a lot more subtle.
    The deer has the same possition as the deer in the roadsign which is kinda funny so it confuses people because the scene should be creepy, intriguing, kinda very serious, not funny.
    So whats the story here. A truck tipped over and a barrel of goo spilled in the sewers. Ok. What happens next? I think it would be more interesting to see the effects of such a ting like radioactive plants that light up the corners of the scene. That will fix some of the lighting issues. Maybe the deer's eyes glow green. Maybe there's a hand made of goo that is coming out of that sewer. Maybe its some weird alien life form that eats the truck. Maybe the radioactive goo is so destructive that all life around it dies and you can show that with some dead trees around the accident area.
    Good luck next time!
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    The reason for losing motivation is because the idea wasnt well flushed out. If you would have thought about it more you would have realised that the idea is meh. Its just not that interesting. So you either add more to the idea or change it completely.
    Thats my opinion about the concept. The scene suffers from some issues as well, but nothing major. Biggest problem is the lighting. Where does all that light come from? The moon? Ok i believe that in some nights the moon light is quite bright but no way is it capable of lighting the ceiling of a bridge or tunnel entrance with indirect light.
    The goo is generating light through the barrel and not enough to light the environment around it apart from the ground. Also, the goo has become this medium importance thing in your scene which goes to show that you realised that you dont like the idea very much so you kinda pushed it to the side - conciously or subconciously. 
    The background is kinda distracting and i agree that it plays in with the story of the scene but it can be a lot more subtle.
    The deer has the same possition as the deer in the roadsign which is kinda funny so it confuses people because the scene should be creepy, intriguing, kinda very serious, not funny.
    So whats the story here. A truck tipped over and a barrel of goo spilled in the sewers. Ok. What happens next? I think it would be more interesting to see the effects of such a ting like radioactive plants that light up the corners of the scene. That will fix some of the lighting issues. Maybe the deer's eyes glow green. Maybe there's a hand made of goo that is coming out of that sewer. Maybe its some weird alien life form that eats the truck. Maybe the radioactive goo is so destructive that all life around it dies and you can show that with some dead trees around the accident area.
    Good luck next time!
    Thanks for your honest opinion, this is much appreciated. I can totally agree with the feedback, which I'll take with me for my next project. I'll play around with some of the suggestions and see how it all turns out. 
  • filipblom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some extra time to work on the feedback you guys gave me. So here are some updated screenshots.