Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Entry Level 3D Artist Portfolio Review/Critique

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Lewis_kennedy polygon
Hi, I just left university last year with a Bachelors in Computer Games (Art & Animation) and am trying to become a professional 3D Artist, my focus in Environment Art for videogames mainly but also potentially films, I have no prior work experience as a 3D Artist, I'm posting to ask for help on what I need to add or improve to better my chances of gaining an entry level position.
here's my Art Station Portfolio https://www.artstation.com/lewis_kennedy
and examples of my work

Replies

• KatharinaSuhany
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatharinaSuhany polycounter lvl 4
    Hello there!
    As a fellow graduated artist I hope I can give some advice of the things I have learned to give some feedback.
    First of all I think that you have improved while making all these projects - good job! :) 
    I think that if you want to become an Environment Artist you should not only focus on interiors and props but also on more "plant heavy" projects or more scenes that take place outside to widen your range. I took a quick look on Artstation what comes up if you search for Environment Art and there a quite a lot of plants in there so I would give it some thought. 
    For games I also think it is important to show that you can work with your polycounts - I would include (like in your first projects) a few shots showing off your wireframe and your textures. 
    Some scenes could use a bit more brightness to really show of your assets. For example I had problems seeing the inside of your booths in the restaurant scene.

I hope this helps!

• Lewis_kennedy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    Hello there!
    As a fellow graduated artist I hope I can give some advice of the things I have learned to give some feedback.
    First of all I think that you have improved while making all these projects - good job! :) 
    I think that if you want to become an Environment Artist you should not only focus on interiors and props but also on more "plant heavy" projects or more scenes that take place outside to widen your range. I took a quick look on Artstation what comes up if you search for Environment Art and there a quite a lot of plants in there so I would give it some thought. 
    For games I also think it is important to show that you can work with your polycounts - I would include (like in your first projects) a few shots showing off your wireframe and your textures. 
    Some scenes could use a bit more brightness to really show of your assets. For example I had problems seeing the inside of your booths in the restaurant scene.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice! yeah showing off the wireframes should a pretty fast and straightforward step I can take, I've been a bit hesitant to show off the wireframes within unreal because of the hdri sphere making it look unclear but I should be able to sort that, and adding the polycount to the bio or images should be simple. I've started working on some exterior scenes so I should be able to include some plant life within that thankfully as well.