Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique and Advice

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
MrBFox greentooth
Hello, I recently finished Uni and have been applying for jobs in my local industry (mainly modelling, texturing and look-dev type roles in tv/film), but haven't had much success the past few months. The kind of areas I would like to work in are 3D modelling, texturing and look-dev, but I'm unsure of what I need to focus on, characters or environments? stylised or realistic? game or tv pipelines/workflow? I've considered trying to get work in CG related fields (such as arch-vis or visualisation type jobs) but am unsure of if my current skillsets transfer to those areas or if there's even demand for that kind of work in my area...

Because of this I've found myself not pursing (or starting and stopping) long-term projects out of fear that I might be spending time working on improving skills/workflows that aren't relevant to any work that might pop up in the next few weeks...

Here is my portfolio,
https://www.artstation.com/mrbfox

Thank you for your time, would be grateful for any advice or just a general direction to go in.

P.S. If this isnt the right area to post this kind of thread I'm ok with the mods closing or moving it.

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan sublime tool
    Wow you have a lot of little projects all jumbled up together. It makes it kind of hard to find any particular thing. Maybe consolidating similar project into folders would help organize things. Like a folder just for animation, a folder for head sculpts, one for concept art, a folder for just the Matt Groening fan-art, etc. Also removing old and unfinished stuff might help clear things out.

Also you seem to be suffering from "Jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome. Flipping through some of your projects, most everything is just kind of . . . OK, with some "eh" mixed in. I didn't really see much that stood out as awesome. While I don't think there's anything wrong with becoming a Jack of all trades, it requires a much bigger time commitment to learning and practicing. What's that quote, something like it takes 10,000 hours of practice to get really good at a skill? If you're trying to practice 10 skills at once though, that's a LOT of time (Sure, there is overlap of skill and knowledge between different 3D art disciplines, but still... it's a lot of time).

I think a possible strategy might be to first decide which discipline(s) is your favorite, or what studios/companies you would love to work for the most. If your favorite discipline lines up with your favorite type of studio, great. Then research who works there (and in your chosen discipline) and look up their portfolios. Study what is and isn't displayed in their portfolios, and emulate it.

Hypothetical example: You like Arch-vis, and there is a studio nearby you want to apply to. You visit their website, look up their job postings to get an idea of what they're looking for, pop over to Artstation and find some people who've listed that they work there. You see in their portfolios a lot of downtown lofts with hardwood floors, Ikea furniture, bowls of fruit, and warm comfortable lighting. You get to work and build something similar for your portfolio. You take the time to polish it, and make it the best thing you've made so far. You then start a new folder for arch-vis, and apply to any studio you can find that's hiring and does similar work. Sending them the link to your arch-vis folder specifically.

Just my two cents worth, I am not at all an expert in getting hired where, and by whom I want. 
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    JamesBrisnehan makes a lot of good points.  Pick a focus and do something awesome for it.  Also, don't send your artstation link as your folio cuz the organization is a mess.  No one is going to look through that.  This is beyond the fact that none of it is high quality enough.  If you want to keep that stuff on ur public AS page, create a free AS folio page and ONLY put high quality stuff on it to use for applying to jobs.  
  • MrBFox
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    Thank you guys for the advice. The Jack of All Trades approach hasn't really been working out so far so I'm more than open to focusing in on a few areas. I've started into better organising my portfolio. The nearest studios to where I live tend to do a lot of colourful, stylised 3D stuff for TV Animation. So would working on stuff more like the Matt Groening Fan-Art but pushed more towards the studios lighting and texturing styles be a route to go with?
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan sublime tool
    If that's the kind of place you want to work at then sure, go for it.