Home Technical Talk

[rigging] How do you make controllers like these?

at 00:50 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT7EYvhazTI

Anyone know how to make spherical, coloured controllers like those?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    It's just nurbs curves. You can set color in attribute editor. Most any rigging tutorial I've ever seen shows stuff like this.
  • pocount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried that but the shader breaks whenever I click on it after opening the file.
    Tried using a lambert and an aiss as well and the same thing happens.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I don't really know enough about it to troubleshoot from top of my head. But what kind of object is that? I didn't think with nurbs you use standard shaders.

I can't really say how exactly it works, but I learned it from doing some tutorials on pluralsight. These days I am using advanced skeleton whenever i have to rig, so I forgot all those details. If somebody else can't help you, I'd try just skimming through whatever free rigging tutorials you can find because every one I have seen covered creating custom controllers.
  • pocount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The picture is a NURBS sphere with a surface shader as a texture.

All the tutorials I've found don't mention this problem, only how to make the controllers. It looks fine when the file opens but when you click on the sphere the shader breaks like in the picture.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh hey, i just replied to you on reddit. Turns out this is a display issue. If I lay down a nurbs sphere, save the scene, restart maya and load, i get this. tapping the hotkeys to go from low back to high quality nurbs display fixes it, but that's terrible.