Home Technical Talk

3DS Max + Vray - render text and finished images

Filip5
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
Hello guys, I was wondering, recently I had to create a leaflet with some text and images on it. But the text had to be done using stamping - this means the text is kind of metalic and reflective. 

So in order to do this properly, I had to use 3D software to render metalic material to reflect these values. The problem here is, as far as I know, that working with text paragraphs in max is very limited. In fact, I imported text from Adobe Illustrator. Now, I 'd like to render something like this out, how would i do that.

In addition, if there are any folds like a folded paper, the text itself would have to be projected on the object itself, not as geometry alone.

Note.: On a secound tought, maybe using just texture would do the trick, but correct me if I am mistaken. Still, how would you do it ?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Max now has a Text node in the material editor. If you can find the right font for your needs, I would try using that since it would be resolution-independent.
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    Okay, here is how i got it working

A few notes to whoever may need it:
    Image resolution is 360 x 240
    Despite this, image took 40 minutes to render
    The golden parts took insanely large ammount of time to render
    Textures used are in 4k quality
    I did expect my laptop to burn at somepoint but it did well...
    I used substance painter, alphas for painting texture on mesh. You can basically import any shape alpha, including whole text paragraph from another software. I reccomend Adobe Illustrator or different vector  based software. Dont know about text nodes in Max, but this seemed as fairly easier for now...