Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

*WIP* for my Portfolio class "Shovel Armor"

Hello! I am currently working on a piece for my portfolio class, C&C are welcomed :)
*Concept Art used for "Bloodstained:Ritual of the Night"

Programs that will be used
-Zbrush
-Maya
-Substance 
-Unreal

Sorry for inactivity``` 

during week 3 I went back to "polish" certain areas 

After working in Zbrush I decided to export the mesh into Maya, I chose certain pieces because after I go and retop the assets I can duplicate the parts and mirror them over (Arms, Legs, Horns, etc.)

Looking ok so far, I start to decide if I have to model certain parts or do I just make it a texture. ( I see this a lot when it comes to having characters in mobile games) What I am referring to are the knee guards and belt.

I eventually model the shovel because I want to incorporate somehow.

In order to show off our character we have to put him on a turntable, at this point I am thinking about If I want this character to be on a pedestal or make a small bit of road and have the ends fade out using alpha channels (suggested by professor).

Me and my professor were discussing if I should have the helmet be hollow like the image above or make it so that the helmet had a visor. We decided on the ladder c:

Looking at the UV's the mesh doesn't look too heavy on the spans, edge flow could use work though haha

**What I end up doing during my workflow is that when I am done with the rough sculpt, I bring it into maya so that I can tweak miner details so that it matches my reference. You can see it on the collar and on the bits attached to the arm.

After the retop is finished the mesh is looking not too shaby and under about 10k tris 

I put the mesh into an "A pose" (as best as I could) because as part of the project we have to give the character basic animations so that when we import them into Unreal and move the character it won't just slide all over the place.

I don't have any progress screencaps while I was in Substance Painter but here we have Ghost Armor fully textured 
My thought process was to use normals for the all the details since there wasn't that many. I played around with the default chainmail material until I could match the concept art as best as I could.

updated textures!

Decided on a pose for the turn table since the program I used didn't rig his hands properly 

getting ready for the render pass in maya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEPsKG1DrXo&feature=youtu.be
here the video for my demo reel!