Home General Discussion

Which software do you hate the most to work with (for whatever reason)?

Replies

• Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    All the lovely messages.

• Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    huffer said:
    Maya. I just hate  how it's so unfriendly and basic interaction sucks. Like how you can't change properly to vertex/edge/face (the cursor has to be on an element to do it, else you select another object) and you always have to delete history every few steps, especially with large models, or else it slows down considerably. And you can't even disable history because there's a button for that yeah, but, disabling it breaks a ton more stuff. I collected some of the bugs I encountered in a bunch of gifs.

This, Maya UI for me is and forever will be a huge mess. Unnecesary or redundant buttons everywhere, having to move windows left and right to be able to see what you're doing in the viewport, huge toolbars that could be summarized in a couple of tools, etc
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I used Rhino once at work to get CAD models with strange file formats out of it for better 3D softwares. Oh god, even the basic navigation and its basic tools gave me a headache. Absolutely horrible experience when everything isn't working the way normal 3D softwares work.

I've used Maya, but even that was a pleasant software to use, even though I've always been a Blender user. But Rhino... nope, never again.

EDIT: Seems like title of this thread means that the software you hate the most to work with, is one of the things you use on the daily basis. I used Rhino twice actually, but that was enough already, lol.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I used Rhino once at work to get CAD models with strange file formats out of it for better 3D softwares. Oh god, even the basic navigation and its basic tools gave me a headache. Absolutely horrible experience when everything isn't working the way normal 3D softwares work.

I've used Maya, but even that was a pleasant software to use, even though I've always been a Blender user. But Rhino... nope, never again.

EDIT: Seems like title of this thread means that the software you hate the most to work with, is one of the things you use on the daily basis. I used Rhino twice actually, but that was enough already, lol.

Pretty sure this thread has just become general software stress relief lol
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I hate the soft I'v been  spending most of my time in  for decade already . It's Substance Designer.   It's rather love/hate relation actually and I still couldn't find any alternative .
    It's non destructive everything and super cool indeed in this regard  but gosh  wouldn't they do every node most inconvenient way ever possible.   Perhaps  "procedural everything" automatic texturing idea so clouded everything  they sacrificed any  meaningful  convenience  node based composers or just image editors  had long before.

HLS and  2d transform nodes are still a blasphemy and abomination.
    vector shape and bitmap painting is totally unusable you had to switch to another soft all the time
    curve editor doesn't have scaling function 3d max had form very beginning
    gradient tool is inconvenient as  hell. no way to save gradient presets 
    and so on and on

The hole program is dumb as a rock.  Any your mistake and it never helps you to identify it .   
    Basically you have to re-do all your tools  by yourself and pray they would survive updates.    A SSD crush with minor dependency lost and it turns into Gordian knot scale of a mess.   Noway the soft would help you in anything.   No automatic mask  outputs from  nodes,  no meaningful grouping, no way you could work with Wacom pen comfortably.     The soft is a terror that flaps in the night :p

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    lightwave was the worst to use, totally un intuitve, could n't model a box in that sucker
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins said:
    Not to derail the thread too much, but... those of you that mentioned Confluence and Jira... Are there specific things within the atlassian tools that you don't like or more just how they're (mis)used? I've personally found them to be pretty decent project management / documentation platforms for the most part.
    It really is like trying to tame Gojira (Godzilla), it can't be done. You can only hope that your pesky human problems align with it's monstrous lumbering agenda. When those two things align, only half the city gets destroyed...

•  It's death by a thousand annoying little things but it's core issue is that the interface is unwieldy and needlessly complex.
    •  Inconsistent feature implementation across the board has been Jira's standard for as long as I can remember.
    • Horrendous text formatting issues, paste a bullet point I dare you, heh.
    • Pharagraph spacing is nutty, shift-enter and enter don't always work in different text fields. Sometimes you get WYSIWYG text, sometimes you get garbage.
    • Sometimes you can add attachments to things and it will add it to the text, inline. In other text fields it only attaches it and you have to add the attachment as an image.
    •  It is extremely waterfall oriented and not actually agile, despite claiming to be the #1.
    • Managing dependencies across different teams is nearly non-existent.
    • Estimating and tracking time is usually broken
    • I can drag and drop sub-tasks to reorder them, can I do that same thing in epics with stories? nope.
    • Some features only exist in certain windows under certain conditions. Like "Split issue" only exists in the right click menu of the backlog. It's super useful, why isn't it anywhere else that you find similar functionality?
    • Bulk editing is missing a lot of functionality and the workflow is painfully slow.
    • Because it's workflows are so esoteric and chaotic it takes a certain amount of training, structure and personal discipline to use effectively.
    • Installing and maintaining it is a nightmare that no one likes to maintain.

TLDR: There are better options out there, but Jira hits the right mix of crippling functionality and price point. If you can't be the best, be the cheaper option...

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Substance painter.

Absolutely nothing against the software itself, but damn is it a massive pain to work with in lower end computers like mine.

Granted it's not allegorithmic's fault that I don't have a discreet graphic card. but it's hard to remember that when it's taking 30 mins between each stroke in 1024 x 1024
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    I've been animating in Maya for nearly a decade now...I mean, as much as I'd like to ditch Maya for Blender as Id rather support Ton and friends over AutoDesk, Maya is still the best out there where it comes to Animation Workflow and Rig Performance...;/
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    I hate all in-house proprietary software.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I'm with the zbrush-haters here, I keep wanting to learn sculpting and people saying to use zbrush, but its just horrible navigation/ui/all imo. I just can't stand it, it just doesn't flow at all natural, and I keep dropping it in disgust. I'm looking at maybe doing mudbox or 3D Coat instead, plus the price is better. Haven't heard anything about 3D Coat at all for a while, no idea what state it is in these day, and if it's good for hard modelling.
    And I wouldn't say I hate Gimp, but it just have this... old feeling to it.
    Jira isn't bad, as long people learn to use it, and you can get addons for it.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    ivanzu said:
    thats bold. 
  • prosaicgod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Truthfully? It's probably a toss up between Photoshop and ZBrush these days. Both apps have become impossibly bloated.

In Photoshop's case, 99% of the features you'll be using from day to day can all be found in the 18 year old v7.01. Were it not for 2010's introduction of Content Aware Fill, I'd have said that (almost) everything since v7 was been bloat to justify the upgrade costs. In that respect, while it may not have near the polish of Adobe's kit, I find that Gimp is the OSS equivalent to PS v7. Functional and no frills. I sorta respect that. PS CC tries to throw in everything but the kitchen sink, resulting in me ignoring a good 60% - 70% of the menu items.

In ZBrush's case, let's be honest. How many of you REALLY rely on more than 6 or 7 brushes on a daily basis? How many of you really find it crucial to have a half dozen ways to accomplish the very same task or start the same base? How many of you look at your mesh and say, "I definitely need more than 25mil polys on that bad boy." I've been a ZBrush user for about 18 years now. I enjoy and admire what it can do. However, truth be told, I find that other apps like Blender have become capable enough to stand in for ZBrush in most situations. ZBrush's main advantage is in being able to handle obscene poly counts where Blender typically crawls (for me) after 25mil. Other than that, it's just too overstuffed and bloated for its own good. Some features have to be rethought, retired, or just deprecated.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I do think PS had some amazing updates. Artboards, Smart Objects, stacking Layer Styles are all things I couldn't do without these days.
    But it's true the competition has caught up to Adobe and I can hardly justify paying their subscription anymore. PS is the last adobe software I still use and I will likely cancel it soon.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ivanzu said:
    What you don't like software interfaces designed with the input from some Lightwave artist decades ago? At least all the bugs in this release are fresh and just waiting to be discovered by you. Only dare to report them after having made sure you got absolutely latest bleeding edge build from five minutes ago. :)

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Other than that, it's just too overstuffed and bloated for its own good. Some features have to be rethought.
    Zbrush is one of  the rare softs that at least  trying to be artist friendly  notwithstanding its alien UI.  The sculpting and brushes are pretty intuitive there after you have  ripped through all those UI  crazy inventions and replaced its transparent panels and eye sore orange buttons  with  something neutral .

I just don't understand why after so many years and gazillion useless things I couldn't paint and bake  textures  there.   Vertex paint is totally ok  IMO . it just needs  some minimal   masking and layers support .  It' would be a dream soft  if they do  some improvements there.        Like  Soptlight projecting depth and roughness alongside the color ,  3d coat style.    

With  layers and masks support.   Why wouldn't they add another vertex channel for roughness.         I hate texturing in different  soft.    I would never use SPAinter if they make it so .

As  of Photoshop  I can't imagine using v7 .  After introducing groups clipping   Psh became totally different soft.    Tully  non-destructive .
    I use it as  Alchemist replacement  for depth  blending   sbs ' substances'.     To crop and scale them.   Re-compose something.   It's kind of front end  of Substance Designer  for me  which I use just as black and white masks  and height generator.    Wish it could  be just a live plugin.      Even gradient color remapping is more convenient in Photoshop because of gradient library.  

I tried to use Affinity photo  for  better 16/32 bit  support but eventually went back to Photoshop  because a lack of non-destructiveness.  

• prosaicgod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops. Double post.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Also Substance Painter, please why the hell cant I just drag and drop a texture inside the damn software - it cant be that hard

Im using 3D coat most of the time for testing things because just making some dead simple mask feels 2x as tedious - not to forget requiring baked maps to do anything. 3D coat just generates you a curvature and AO, so much faster (and the bake is usually noticeably better)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    frmdbl said:
    I'm surprised people 'hate' Zbrush and its UI in particular.
    I found it to be similar to Blender in a certain respect (certainly before B2.8).

Hah, those two are on my hatelist, basically ;)
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    cptSwing said:
    frmdbl said:
    I'm surprised people 'hate' Zbrush and its UI in particular.
    I found it to be similar to Blender in a certain respect (certainly before B2.8).

Hah, those two are on my hatelist, basically ;)
    You're not alone.

The recruitment system we use at my office gets my new number 1 spot though. 

Multiple identical unlabelled icons with no tooltips does not constitute a UI
  • david_arel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    david_arel polycounter lvl 2

+1 for Git.

In my last job it was a pain each time we had to onboard a new colleague. He had to learn how branches work, when to pull, how to use Sourcetree etc... Eventually we got rid of Git in the art pipeline. Programmers still use it.

But this inspired me to develop a Unity plugin to simplify using Git. There is only one button, no need to learn the rest, programmers can do that. It's not in the Unity Asset Store yet, but if anyone wants to try it, just send me a message at hello.crafty@outlook.com 😊

Edit: It is now in the Unity Asset Store, althought it's still an early version: https://crafty.creatiel.ca/