Home General Discussion

Which software do you hate the most to work with (for whatever reason)?

ned_poreyra
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ned_poreyra polycounter lvl 4
I'm not asking which software is objectively the worst, or how do they compare, but which one you, personally, hate - but must - use. 3D or 3D-related software, of course.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I don't like using zbrush cause it's so different from anything else. Back when I was thinking I'd do character art, I used zbrush daily. But I never really got to where I could work in it effortlessly like I can most other programs. Like, work in a way where your hands are doing what your mind is thinking but you don't got to ever really think about it, ya know? Like second nature. Always I feel out of place, like bull in china shop when I work in zbrush.

Now that I am making games, I rarely open zbrush. And I'm fine with that.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Git. Hate what a mess it is to commit, and update. And how shitty it is with big art assets.

• Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Meth Hate. Not even once. Hate only leads to the dark side.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Maya. I just hate  how it's so unfriendly and basic interaction sucks. Like how you can't change properly to vertex/edge/face (the cursor has to be on an element to do it, else you select another object) and you always have to delete history every few steps, especially with large models, or else it slows down considerably. And you can't even disable history because there's a button for that yeah, but, disabling it breaks a ton more stuff. I collected some of the bugs I encountered in a bunch of gifs.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ...not necessarily hating on an entire package, per se but the Max UI, can for me be a pain in the butt to handle occasionally, given that I'm a longtime Blenderite, so I think ADSK should take some hints and possibly pare back the mess of icons to a manageable level. Other than that it's a really cool hard surface program too work with...as a secondary app.    
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    @Eric Chadwick Can you elaborate the issue with Git? we are thinking to switching to it from SVN, right now we handle assets over a simple automatic cloud but we are just 2 artists

Zbrush is probably the most fucked up UI/UX design ive seen
    Also I hate exporting images in Photoshop, laggy, unnecessary clicks, searching folders, just mentally draining even if its simple
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Well, Maya. :) A program I have been allergic to ever since first opening it.

But I am rather successful these days at avoiding it entirely so what gets my blood pressure up a bit instead is Unreal. Hate is too strong a word for it but everything in there seems to take so much time: please hold while we're saving or rebuilding this and that, no proper in-viewport update when pulling certain sliders/changing values, instead assets often go checkerboard and then update. Difficult to judge if/what/how things have improved - or even changed.
    Also can anybody explain why the asset viewer always comes up with the most f*cked perspective distortion for viewing props or characters? You'd think if you build things to scale for the engine then that wouldn't be an issue at all.
    Moving assets and their dependencies between projects/versions (or submitting them to a client) could also be made easier. Spotting semi-hidden dependencies linked somewhere deep in the materials is a game I'd rather not have to play.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Git is for programmers who want local copies of the entirety of their codebase, along with local copies of each version of each file. The guy who designed Git just wanted to download all his code before jumping on an airplane.

Artists only want the latest files, and only the directories they need to work on. I.e. enviro artists don't want nor need GBs of source ZTLs from the character artists.

Perforce is awesome at handling large binary files. Git is notorious for being slow with big binary files.

Git is also a pain since you need to do multiple steps to commit a file. Stage, then Commit, then Push, then Merge. Blech.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Zbrush, is the champion of hatred for me.

- The user interface is the worst i have ever used since i work with PCs. Brushes are not grouped, and all is a total mess in every aspect.
    - Configuring new brushes is a hassle, a nuisance, we have "hidden" options in 2 different panes.
    - I needed to custom, or better said, to change the UI completely. and the worst, i needed to config new brushes because the standard ones doesn't work well, dotting issues, bad results, etc. Alphas doesn't work at all in freehand mode, "carving" doesn't work as expected.
    - But the worse for me, is the multimap exporter. The ui can be changed, and we can avoid in some way a bad user experience, but we can't avoid the issues related to bugs/problems, because they did not solve them in years.
    - The lack of support for n-gons
    - The lack of compability between versions, -Ztools, ZProjects, Zbrushes, all-. A zbrush brush created in 2019 doesn't work well in  Zbrush 2018 or older. It forces you to stay with a very old version... studios don't use the latest version.
    - Broken tools such as Zapplink. Exporting the canvas and painting in Photoshop is no longer working like in Zbrush 3.
    - UVs, we have linear and "smoothed", and smoothed UVs doesn't work in the same way in other 3d Apps such as Max or modo, resulting in artifacts on seams using displacement maps for example.
    - Perfomance, memory issues, and stupid crashes.
    - The viewport quality, old, and prehistoric. 4 subdivision iterations and all is still "flat", without smoothing. Mudbox, Blender or modo is better in that aspect.
    - Year 2020 and still no 4K support.
    - Zmodeller, good to add some edge loops, and a pain in the ass for real quick modelling. It's useless for welding vertices or collapsing edges.
    - Bad perfomance with Dinamic Subdivision.
    - etc.

When i use Zbrush, i always need to have in mind a bunch of workarounds to avoid problems. It's a madness.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    substance painter/3d paint prgrams in general/zbrush/maya 3ds max/houdini/photoshop/Blender
    yeah hate em all, have gone to the darkside :angry:
    (reaches for water color paper and dusts off brushes)
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    outlook and confluence suck.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Maya is the first one that comes to mind, though after a bit I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad to use. Zbrush's UI is trash but I am enveloped in the trash at this point and my dumpster fire is quite cozy. The one soft I can say I hate is Daz3D it's just the worst. 
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Because I've worked with a number of artists... JIRA.
    I'll admit that nearly every problem I've had with the software is most likely due to it being improperly installed and configured, so I won't directly implicate the developer of the software. But, most folks I've worked with have no clue how to use it to make their daily routine easier, in turn leading to confusion, denial, repetitious manual entry and missed deadlines. Many revert to simply sending a poorly written email (Outlook, see above) about a problem or task instead of writing/assigning a task/bug/etc and properly closing/reassigning once it's complete. Those same folks get upset when said issues get lost and forgotten under many other tasks. I've attempted to resolve this breakdown in communicate by writing very simple explanations of how to use JIRA on Confluence (see above) for various teams. I've more recently taught myself Python and automated much of the gathering of information from JIRA and other project management platforms, putting it all together in a simplified email report with colors and big fonts for management and department leads, much of which could have been done with simple plugins. But, I've now found myself in a comfy new position at work for "solving problems".

And, speaking of Python... Git.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    I would guess this would be Skype for me :)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Git, but Perforce solves this.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Shrike said:
    @Eric Chadwick Can you elaborate the issue with Git? we are thinking to switching to it from SVN, right now we handle assets over a simple automatic cloud but we are just 2 artists
    oh god, just run away as fast as you can!
    i didnt use it in ages, there is supposedly some big data extension now. but no idea how that is. but back in the day it was so horrible with big files. everybody had to be on the latest version all the time, everything had to be synced. by the time you synced a full level another level would be newer and one couldn't update. everybody was just constantly blocked by everybody else.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah we use git for some code bases mainly but everything else still is on perforce. 

Skype is probably my most hated program. 
  • Unknown_Target
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unknown_Target polycounter lvl 6
    3ds Max is like fighting a bear that has its d×ck out. It's painful, challenging, a little demeaning and very uncomfortable.

The software crashes all the time, the interface is straight out of the 90s, nothing works particularly well. Performance is terrible and again, it crashes so much. It's a constant struggle to use the software between its outdated interface, useless support, dozens of requires third party plugins and incredible instability for a "professional"product .
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I'm surprised people 'hate' Zbrush and its UI in particular.
    I found it to be similar to Blender in a certain respect (certainly before B2.8).

It seems sort of archaic, but once you build up some muscle memory and memorize where things are it becomes natural, i doesn't get in the way.
    It's the opposite with 3DCoat for me,I think people don't complain as much, but for me it gets in the way much more.

In terms of my hatred I hate some of the things about Blender 2.8. I hate that they arbitrarily changed the default keymap and changed the select button to the left mb.

I'm also not a huge fan of Perforce, but I guess it works fine unless you do something stupid.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    frmdbl said:
    I'm surprised people 'hate' Zbrush and it's UI in particular.
    I found it to be similar to Blender in a certain respect (certainly before B2.8).

It seems sort of archaic, but once you build up some muscle memory and memorize where things are it becomes natural, i doesn't get in the way.
    It's the opposite with 3DCoat for me,I think people don't complain as much, but for me it gets in the way much more.

In terms of my hatred I hate some of the things about Blender 2.8. I hate that they arbitrarily changed the default keymap and changed the select button to the left mb.

I'm also not a huge fan of Perforce, but I guess it works fine unless you do something stupid.

I think the standard UI is okay, like you said the muscle memory and knowing where things are comes after a little bit. Still there are items in menus which don't really make sense like the camera and perspective controls being under the Draw panel. Or like all of the different modes for Transparency, isolate subtool and Solo Mode being under the Transform panel.

I think what others, and my personal gripe is that every almost every tool has a separate UI that goes with it. A lot of which are not homogeneous with others. Learning Zbrush isn't learning one UI/UX it's learning dozens.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Maya for sure.
    Its the only tool in my pipeline that feels like software from 20 years ago.
    • Its unreliable in performing basic actions without potentially crashing or breaking what i'm working on. 
    • There's no reason for the history because that's just going to break things down the line so you end up clearing it after every few actions.
    • The user interface is so nonsensical and unwieldy that even after using it for almost 15 years i still have to bounce around to find what i'm looking for.
    • Basic tools and actions that should be natively implemented arent so you have  to write you own  or use 3rd party plugins. I'm still using scripts i wrote 10 years ago for tools that are in almost every 3d package and game engine i've ever used 
    • Features that get worse or break completely as new versions come out. I still prefer maya 2008 over any of the new versions i've had forced on my due to an established software pipeline
    As soon as i'm done with my current project maya is gone for good, i'm switching to blender

• mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    For me almost every piece of software has it's ups and downs, I love zbrush and have been using it for about a decade but can completely agree that it's UI and viewport leave a lot to be desired...

In terms of software I hate though jira, confluence and in an odd twists of fate for me now Maya take that spot. The work management ones are rather obvious, however about 4 years ago I switched from Maya to Max, and going back to it so many of it's core tools are completely asinine in how you have to use them.

Just trying to assign a texture to a secondary UV slot prompts several minutes of googling and hating people posting about UDIMs instead of UV slots, only to discover it's tucked under some other menu as far from the shader input and hypershade you can get for no god damn reason. And then the icing on the cake, your particular texture input doesn't show up... Why did I used to love you Maya?! Why?! That's a rather specific example but I think it accurately get's my feelings across...
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Git was a bitch.

With enough whining and complaining on my part, and my indie project forked over the cash for Perforce.

:/
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_manual polycounter lvl 3

I don’t necessarily hate it, but Maya’s relatively destructive modelling workflow is rather irksome when accustomed to the glorious modifier stack in 3ds max  :)

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Autodesk Revit, it's not a DCC software like 3ds max or Maya, but I hate it in nearly all aspects.
    The UI, the abandoned have integrated former plug-in, the "import", the material editor, documentation, inconsistency, the camera, ... a lot more.

The snapping system is quite good, I have to admit that and the program makes me appreciate all other programs more, that are good points  :#

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    outlook and confluence suck.
    I feel this comment deep in my soul. Add Jira and Git to the pile and my effigy is nearly complete. 

I really like 3dsmax for modeling and environment art. Splines and the modifier stack are fuckin amazing but I'm saddened that UV editor is still modifier dependent. It's 2020... come on Autodesk. Also I would rather slowly shove toothpicks in my eyes than rig in 3dsmax.

I really love Maya for rigging, animation and hair, but hate having to use it to model anything slightly complex or deals with pivots or what could easily be done with splines, which is 70% of environment things. It's 2020... come on Autodesk.

I have a love hate relationship with zBrush, I love it but it hates me.

I really love Substance Painter and I kind of tolerate Designer but I hate that they're owned by Adobe but if it was that or they shut down I guess they picked the best possible solution. Still Substance Painter... so much love.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Surprised there is so much hate for Git haha. Are you guys using a git GUI or just command line? Though to be honest Ive never used it for anything else besides code and back in college when a professor had us make flash projects in Mercurial (pretty much like Git)
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I basically hate everything.
    No matter how good you might think a piece of software is, there will be something utterly awful about it (and likely I'll get asked to try and deal with it).
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slack.
    People sitting literally beside me would send me messages on Slack instead of turning their heads and just telling me. 
    Huge waste of time and destroys communication within teams. 
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Slack
    People making 50 thousand channels for the same thing. 
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    RyanB said:
    Slack.
    Huge waste of time and destroys communication within teams. 
    On the flipside, it facilitates communication for those who aren't inclined to reach out. I know for myself, the barrier of sending a slack message is WAY smaller than the barrier of physically interrupting what somebody else is doing (is this important enough to bother them about it? Is it worth the time it'll take to get their attention, try to word my comment or question well, and have them answer it? Is it worth the social energy?).

Not to mention if someone is in the zone getting stuff done, they can mute slack; then some coworker comes up and interrupts their work anyway?

Obviously it can make communication feel more detached and sometimes impersonal, but you can balance that. But for me as an introvert with some amount of social anxiety, it's such a huge huge blessing.

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slack can be obnoxious especially if people make a bunch of channels or start direct message groups and mostly use it to just talk shit. But Slack can do some good too... 

It can help reduce randomization
    If you've ever had a day when you do nothing but get interrupted, slack can be a nice way to divert some of that desk traffic. Most people that like to get up and get their tasks unblocked right then and there, don't realize how selfish and demanding they're actually being. If you're going to trample all over the task I'm holding in my head, next time just use a shotgun it will do less damage. On the other hand if you slack me a message I can deal with it when I'm not trying to concentrate.

Time to think and respond
    Have you ever gotten a shitting answer to an issue because it was a quick decision someone made under pressure?
    Boss: "Ahh fuck I dunno, do the thing!"
    Lead: "We're going with option Q."
    Trencher: "That's the dumbest solution! Why did they pick that one?"
    Lead: "I don't know, it could have something to do with their hair being on fire?"
    Slack decisions tend to be given a little more thought and care with several people having time to look things over and do a bit of research if they need to and then respond with a fairly comprehensive answer.

Threads
    Each comment can become a thread that holds an entire conversation without having to take over an entire channel. 
    "What do you think of this screenshot?" All of the feedback is contained in that thread.

Lower overall office volume

By moving office chatter into a a random or general channel, it reduces the number of random, loud and disruptive conversations that people have. It also reduces the number of people getting pulled off of tasks to join random office chatter, "Oh yea I was talking to xxx about that just a min ago, let me stop working and share my 2 cents". Great... put it in random so people can read it and comment when it's appropriate for them. They'll post a meme, we'll all laugh and meanwhile everyone that needed to work will keep working.

Slackups
    (daily stand up done in slack)
    Stand ups are good and "necessary" but a slackup is awesome. It saves time and won't interrupt your day, you can post when you have a sec, it's a running catalog of what people are working on and you can @ anyone that is blocking a task or needs to be looped in so they are notified. That all happens in a daily stand up but it avoids the traffic custerfuck at the end of a stand up when everyone is trying to talk to 3-4 people at the same time so they can get back and get working. Things get dealt with, in their proper lanes without all of the chaos.

Posting links and files
    It's not a replacement for version control but for those one-off files that people need that don't need to be in the project. "Can I get your maya.env file, I had to reinstall and I don't feel like trying to edit it by hand from memory" "Oh yea here ya go". 

Notes to yourself
    You can message yourself. I'll sometimes use this to hold onto snippets of blueprints or scripts that I can copy/paste in. A snap shot of settings. Or collect some reference and links. 

Making to-do lists
    Not a replacement for task tracking but it can help you stay organized and help you jot down things that need to happen in a specific order.

Posting images for feedback
    Start a thread, it all gets collected and can be gone over by producers and leads to make tasks. Rather a meeting that no one takes notes or crazy email chains or just a random shouting match around someones desk, it can be gone over when people have time.

Voices aren't lost in the crowd
    Have you ever been in a meeting and someone just filibustered the fuck out of the meeting? Or half the people who would actually be doing the work, didn't get a chance to contribute because they're too polite to interrupt gabby flabby gums. Or gabby flabby gums directs sends the discussion careening from point to point without ever slowing down and dragging everyone back in time to talk about something that happened 5min ago, will be about as productive as tossing a smoke bomb in the middle of the room?

External sources 
    Can be given access to specific channels making communication easier and much more integrated. We have 2 animators, a sound guy and a music composer, I have never talked to face to face. but you would swear they are part of the team and have a desk somewhere. It also makes communication with the team while working remotely possible. There could be times when the weather makes it hard to get to the building to work but working remotely is an option and communication is not impacted nearly as much.

Company notifications
    We can use it to tell each other about the weather, traffic, illnesses and if we're going to be late or have to leave early. 

Reminders
    They are easier than setting outlook calendar events. You can set them for other people and they can be reoccurring.
    /remind #team-bob to "Slackup" every Monday at 9am
    /remind me "to review stuff" tomorrow at 3pm

Mobile
    I can access it from my phone, desktop, laptop and at home. If I'm in a meeting I'll jot down some notes or make some lists, set reminders, it's really nice to be able to have info accessible and easy to edit.

Of course there are times when slack totally fails and face to face interaction is totally necessary or slack becomes obtrusive but for the most part some kind of internal messaging system usually helps.

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    The one software I absolutely despise is SharePoint. Never heard of it? Good. Microsoft doesn't really want to acknowledge it either. It was exceptionally slow, prone to crashing, collaboration editing wasn't working like intended so if a spreadsheet was left open on someone else's computer you were screwed. The interface was super clumsy to navigate and even just getting to SharePoint in general is a chore. I have had nothing but bad experiences with it and avoided it whenever I could.

Other software complaints to me just feel so minor in comparison to how I feel about SharePoint.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Alemja said:
    The one software I absolutely despise is SharePoint. Never heard of it? Good. Microsoft doesn't really want to acknowledge it either. It was exceptionally slow, prone to crashing, collaboration editing wasn't working like intended so if a spreadsheet was left open on someone else's computer you were screwed. The interface was super clumsy to navigate and even just getting to SharePoint in general is a chore. I have had nothing but bad experiences with it and avoided it whenever I could.

Other software complaints to me just feel so minor in comparison to how I feel about SharePoint.

OH god I didn't even think of SharePoint. Take all those points you just made, those are all reasons that my job made SharePoint our standard! Everything where I work is tied into SharePoint all of it. It is the most absolutely retched thing. Our programmers have to develop tools that works off of SharePoints databases and other nonsense like that. The art team actively rips anything out of SharePoint and relocates it to our SVN drives or network drives because we can't stand it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh gawd... I had forgotten about sharepoint... /shudder
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I'm not asking which software is objectively the worst, or how do they compare, but which one you, personally, hate - but must - use. 3D or 3D-related software, of course
    Lol..a bit of OP re-edited curation going on there and fair enough too, it's their topic after all.

Hmm...although, a extraneous point of variance I think worth mentioning, is perhaps...editing out 'hate' while you were at it. Because in my opinion too extreme an adjective within the context of creative artistry or namely actual tools of trade. So possibly something more benign like 'nuisance' or 'dislike' or even 'detest'...etc, I believe would've more than sufficed?!

...so within the spirit of accordance 'S Designer' and I also personally dislike forced sub-fees, as well.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah, Open Office. It has more to do with the activity than the soft. I dont like admin. At all.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Maya - it doesn't work, has never worked, they have no intention of fixing it and there is no alternative

SVN - because I've used perforce 

Shotgun - Better options include giving up on planning altogether and carving notes in your chest with a spoon

oh, and this week Substance Painter gets the finger because the API is weak as piss and the files are all binary

• jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Not to derail the thread too much, but... those of you that mentioned Confluence and Jira... Are there specific things within the atlassian tools that you don't like or more just how they're (mis)used? I've personally found them to be pretty decent project management / documentation platforms for the most part.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Lets show you some real gore

As much as I like the software, that UV editor is awful
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    @Shrike what soft is that? That's terrible
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Thats the ancient and never updated UV editor in cinema 4d, but it appears like it will get a total rework soon. Its unusable really, you will need to use an external software, 3D coat works well for me

Otherwise I think cinema has surely the best 3D software UI and is very nice to work with (aside of minor gripes you always will have) especially as you can customize 100% everything in the interface
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Git is the worst thing ever! Had such a pain trying to use it with small teams. 
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ProperSquid polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like I'm probably one of the few people that like Git. Mostly because all I do is software development, and Git was really designed for that.

But I'm not very fond of Maya for a few reasons.
    • MEL is terrible. There's a whole slew of issues I have with it. The Python wrapper, short arguments, functions doing way too much (having query and edit flags), every object in Maya is returned as a name instead of a pointer to the object itself, some functions don't return the full path to nodes (like listConnections), while those that do don't have a consistent flag (ls -long vs listRelatives -fullPath). Also, there's nothing like a Python dictionary or object in the language. You either have to do some crazy things with arrays or have nodes in Maya represent your object.
    • The C++ API is incomplete. I have tried doing some things where the only API I used is the Python wrapper for the C++ API, and in some cases, you have to dive into MEL or the Python wrapper for MEL to do things. The things that come to mind are doing anything with the UI that isn't just Qt/PySide. Also, doing some simple things in the API are extremely complicated, like getting a node from it's name or path.
    • The cost isn't worth it. I have to pay $1,500 per year for a license. What do I get out of this that I can't do in Blender? Sure, as a studio, Maya makes sense to have, but only because everyone uses it (because all the studios require it because everyone uses it because...) Also, I've generally found that support is kinda terrible. I've sorta given up doing bug reports for Maya, because I have lost faith that they will address the issues.
    • It is generally slow. I have heard that 2019-2020 is starting to resolve this, but you can do a coffee round while waiting for a scene to load.
    There's other things, but these are probably some of my biggest gripes.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Slackups (daily stand up done in slack)
    Stand ups are good and "necessary" but a slackup is awesome. It saves time and won't interrupt your day, you can post when you have a sec, it's a running catalog of what people are working on and you can @ anyone that is blocking a task or needs to be looped in so they are notified. That all happens in a daily stand up but it avoids the traffic custerfuck at the end of a stand up when everyone is trying to talk to 3-4 people at the same time so they can get back and get working. Things get dealt with, in their proper lanes without all of the chaos.
    Loving this idea. I have been doing this with my direct manager on a almost daily basis and it never occurred to me that this could be done for the entire team. I have found status updates through slack, just writing a couple bullet points, very efficient.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    For some reason, Nuke comes to mind. I used it just a few months ago to make a short reel of all the compositing/vfx stuff I did year ago, but just looking at the UI brought me back nightmares lol. I'm glad I was able to get by making the reel, but it'd have to be a good 6 years since I really got into it, for compositing/stereoscopic-3D related work.

Honestly, it's not the software, maybe just the countless hours looking at it, working over-time, and not wanting to open that after work. It's just a relief nowadays to open up Maya in the morning. I'm kind of glad some of those nodes carry through on other node-based systems.

• oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    zbrush and maya
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    SVN and Skype.. Skype is just terrible, the Ui is buttugly and yes.. i just hate it. And SVN, how many time this piece of shite has broken just because confliction.. yes it's not the programs fault. but still.
  • e_manual
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_manual polycounter lvl 3
    Forgot to mention my love-hate relationship with windows, I guess its time for me to plug Linux haha. Debian with a riced i3 window manager B).  Alas my preferred software is not natively supported on linux, so its windows for the foreseeable future. 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Git is for programmers who want local copies of the entirety of their codebase, along with local copies of each version of each file. The guy who designed Git just wanted to download all his code before jumping on an airplane.

Artists only want the latest files, and only the directories they need to work on. I.e. enviro artists don't want nor need GBs of source ZTLs from the character artists.

Perforce is awesome at handling large binary files. Git is notorious for being slow with big binary files.

Git is also a pain since you need to do multiple steps to commit a file. Stage, then Commit, then Push, then Merge. Blech.
    There is Large File Storage (LFS) for git. The project I'm on now has us using Sourcetree because it's one of the few(?) that supports it?

I was going to hate on Maya a bit in this thread, because it makes life so damn difficult at every turn, and teaching it to new people who have expectations out of their lives is an awful experience for everyone. As an experienced and techy user, it's easy to get complacent about some of the stupid things we put up with daily.

But no, I'm going to say Sourcetree. Take regular git, and hit randomize; that's the push/pull process every time. The interface is confusing, even the person managing this for me can't tell me why it's doing the things it does that get in the way of successful push/pull/commits really doesn't help.

https://xkcd.com/1597/