Home Technical Talk

Darker blacks using PBR Metal/Rough?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
DirtyBlueFL polycounter lvl 4
How can I achieve a darker black plastic using PBR metal/rough? Even if I crank the blacks all the way to 0, (which I should not be doing) I still get a gray result. I have seen some smart materials out there on the market using a simi-metallic value for dark plastics, but I don't know if I'm willing to break that rule without asking around first.

The muzzle device and optic on this glock are metal, while the frame is plastic. They all have about the same black value.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    This is because your lighting is way too bright.

Dielectrics (non metals) should be no darker than 30 (some say 50) in the Albedo.

Make some test spheres to load in the same scene: black30/rough/nonmetal, gray187/rough/nonmetal, white243/rough/nonmetal. You could also add a white/glossy/metal one, just to see the IBL.

Use these to adjust your lighting to realistic values. Black rough should be barely visible, gray rough should be middle ground lit, white rough shouldn't be blown out.
  • DirtyBlueFL
    Offline / Send Message
    DirtyBlueFL polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you. I think I'll pull the color / lighting checkers from UE4 as well.