The Bi-Monthly ENVIRONMENT ART Challenge | January - February (64)

Replies

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg polycounter
    @jntucson the shelf looks like an award or a shadow box of some kind. I don't think its a useful item but more of one placed for decoration. Alchemy award maybe? The lower pots might be alchemical still heads, they're usually configured with alembics to act as a refining container that takes in the steam generated.
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 3
    PastyPict said:
    Also, does anyone know what this thing is on top of the book shelf?
    Also the thing on the table where the pots are? It looks kind of like the handles of an old fireplace bellow, but I can't tell.
    Top I think are both clear cast resin items (the circled one could be a butterfly):
    Image result for butterfly clear cast resin

while the thing on the table could be alambic style container with some yellowish powder, and it is resting on a piece of paper:

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg polycounter
    WIP of Zbrush work, going through each piece on a base pass right now then going to start refining after everything looks cohesive.

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter lvl 6
    Some awesome stuff happening in here! Keep going!
  • pixelit_studio
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelit_studio polycounter lvl 3

Quick update about the project :)

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg polycounter
    @blot12345 Thanks! I use a combination of both Alphas and hand sculpting. I beat up the corners a lot with TrimSmoothBorder and then I hatch in ClayTubes with a square alpha with strokes that follow the length of the wood. Sometimes I'll start with a bigger brush and lower intensity if I want rougher wood but for these I just started smaller and did the hatches. I'll then go over them with TrimSmoothBorder again alternating Alt randomly on strokes to create different planes. Drag out some alphas for big damage and then cut in some of the bigger grooves with DamStandard. As well as pop edges by tracing with DamStandard set to Add.
  • GabrielGray
    Update for today: Made the chest on the corner table and one of the candles

• laurens.tjong
    Offline / Send Message
    laurens.tjong polycounter lvl 6
    Great progress everybody!

@blot12345 That looks really promising, cool to hear that you want to use texture blending for dirt! +1 for efficiency!

Today I setup the initial couch uvs and texture just to get that one over with. From here on it's just smaller elements and making eveything come together. As you can see the texture is really quick and dirty. It's mostly for getting the feel of the scene in. All of the textures will be updated later on.

Im thinking of creating an atlas texture at a certain point but im not to sure about that yet

Cheers!
  • blot12345
    Offline / Send Message
    blot12345 polycounter lvl 12
    Got a few more kitchen assets in: radiator, trash can and the table. The table, cabinets, and sink top all use the same material and use vertex color to control dirt patches and paint chipping. It's working fairly well, so I'll probably re-purpose it for the wall panels as well.

• icegodofhungary
    I changed my approach to doing trims. Instead of making the trim first, guessing what I needed, I roughly blocked out the model and just used different color strips to get an idea of what I needed and how big the strips needed to be. This way helps a lot with texel density too as you're making it for a 1:1 size with the environment. I'm going to try to knock out some of the environment items with trims instead of unique sculpts. Trim made in Substance Designer.

Looks really good. You're moving at a good pace as well.

@laurens.tjong 
    Nice idea using the illustrative style to set your scene apart. Looking forward to more.

No critiques so far. Sculpting looks good.

I think the thing on the book shelf is the lower jaw bone and part of the skull of some exotic creature. I've stared at it a few times and that's the closest thing I can think of for the shape and volume. It kind of reminds me of Dishonored 2 where they have little taxidermy props around the environments. There's also 3 different types of stills in the scene. One by the window, one on a chest, and one on the table. Like others have said, it's probably meant for alchemy. You could replace some of them with beakers or antique chemistry sets if you wanted more variety.

• BananaManyana

Super quick high poly block out of the van I started tonight :)

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 4
    @BananaManyana

gotta love those wheels man...Looking forward to see your progress.
  • BananaManyana

Some more details :)
  • kelly_caroline
    Offline / Send Message
    kelly_caroline polycounter lvl 2
    Wow, everyone's work is coming along quite nicely!

@zachagreg I love the base pass for the wood, and am looking forward to see what your final sculpt turns out like! I've noticed that on some of the solid wheels on the left hand side halfway up, the rivets come across quite square looking

@kohg I think the red stripe at the top of the truck's bottom border could use a little refining, and also a gleam on the solar panels would be cool. Love how it's looking so far!

I've started the base pass on the wood elements of the machine in zbrush. I think I've been staring at them for too long, are they starting to  look like aged wood planks? Are the edges too soft?

• zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg polycounter
    @kelly_caroline Im actually glad you noticed that. It's the difference between a rivet and a bolt on those. Portions that are plated and rivets do so with the integrity of the wood to hold them together where as the square ones are actually bolt heads with a nut ( not a threaded nut as you usually see it but one that has been joined with a piece of heated metal and flattened) these bolt heads sink straight through the wood as a means of holding. With some of them having metal plate washers to hold like the main vertical beam. I harped a bit on structural integrity on my piece and so far as its pet peeve of mine which is why I have some extraneous details.

For your piece I'm loving the break up of form on your beams and wood. Definitely reading as wood throughout. A couple of areas I might suggest edit is the cross beam, the left vertical beam and the cross beam on the wheel cage on the right hand side. In the center of the main cross beam there is quite a heavy dip towards the center suggesting some wear there or a flaw in the wood. I would suggest either exemplifying that wear and tear there with increased damage or doing away with the downward bowing. Same with the verticals and right hand side one mentioned. There are a couple of areas where the wear is a bit exaggerated and comes across as wavy. Don't eliminate it just tone it down a tad.

Edit:
    BIG CAVEAT to what I said, it whole-heartedly depends upon your vision for this. My intention for this is an in use, but used version of this crane thingy. If yours would be a version that is less in maintenance than your damage and wear would fit for that.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg polycounter
    Double post sorry about that wanted to post a progress pic before heading to bed. :)

• blot12345
    Offline / Send Message
    blot12345 polycounter lvl 12
    @kohg & @BananaManyana both of your trucks are looking great!

@Alahyla are you doing the edges as the texture or is it a post process thing? You may want to try and see if you can't get some variation to the line work you have in your image.

I've got some chairs and blinds in. So many assets, so little time. Given the amount of time remaining, I'm aiming to just get the kitchen area complete by the end of the challenge time, and then focus on the living room area afterwards.

• saritarara
    Offline / Send Message
    saritarara polycounter lvl 2
    Hello! This is my first time posting on the forum, so I apologize in advance if I goof something!

So I started by blocking everything out and trying to get the bigger shapes and curves in there. I'm now going to start fine tuning the individual assets before I get into the weeds with details. I've never tackled something this intricate before, so this will definitely be a challenge for me. Any and all critique welcome!

• Raybees
    Offline / Send Message
    Raybees polycounter lvl 7

Here Is My progress so far on the study, having lots of fun and still so much to do. Trying to keep it relatively low poly, still under 6000 right now so feeling pretty good.

Was wondering if anyone knew what the sciencey tub thing in the back is? Also what did the spilled pot fall off of?  I can't make that guy out either.

I'm loving everyone else's progress, we are kicking 2020's Butt!
  • MagicTurtle
    Great stuff from everybody so far! Here's my update, I worked mainly on the walls and floor textures and the biggest props.
                                            Floor Texture                                                                                            Walls Texture

@Raybees I made some research about alchemy tools to figure out what the thing near the windows is, but I could not find anything similar.
    I guess it could be some sort of stove to heat the big alembic on top?

@Taas @kelly_caroline @zachagreg love your sculpting! can't wait to see some texturing!

• FauntailJabuti
    Offline / Send Message
    FauntailJabuti polycounter lvl 2
    Wow, super cool, great work guys!
  • Raybees
    Offline / Send Message
    Raybees polycounter lvl 7
    @MagicTurtle Wow, those textures are looking great!!!! Really dig the bird skull lock on the crate also adds alot of flare can't wait to see the rest. Yea I'm thinking just some heating apparatus.

@kohg and @pixelit_studio Great work!!! If any of you feel like modeling the interior of those badboys I would love to see that, very tiny space for a hotdog line, plus with the solar panel you can really design some cool looking stuff. XD