Home Technical Talk

Question about retopology.

Hello everyone. I have a quick question regarding retopology. I have those 2 examples below, which I want to retopologize in Blender. Now, should I explode both meshes and work on individual pieces, or maybe there is a faster way to make it? How would you guys approach this?

I understand the basics of the process, I just never really worked on more complex meshes...

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I would say it depends on how they were originally made. Because if they were modeled with subdivision, then you already have the basic topology in place. If you made them in a sculpting program, then yeah youll need to retopo them :D In this case, I'd try  to see what auto retopo does, and if its mostly ok, id fix up the minor errors. The answer to the question about if it should be exploded, again, depends. On where this asset will end up being. For games, some pieces would be merged on the lowpoly. Animations, different thing again, you would probably want separated pieces.
  • KamilPerzyna
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yeah you could explode the meshes or break them up into separate models ala substance painter technique.

For the second one just uv the low poly meshes so they are on one sheet, Then split the model into as many meshes as you need to avoid artifacts from juxta opposed pieces. Then bake and join the pieces back into one model.