Home Unity

[material layering] PBR Water droplets

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
I am trying to get water droplets ontop of surfaces in a PBR manner (primarily with reflectivity and perhaps distortion). I am able in the shader graph to add a second normal map ontop of my existing normal map for the water droplets.

However I have no idea how to make them have their own reflectivity varuables through a roughness textures and to make it distort the texture "underneath".

This is what I have for now(the droplets look like a disease more than actual water :P):

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Zoddo
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    Getting closer!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Make sure the water has zero roughness. Make a copy of the normal map and edit it to be black drops on a gray background. Gray would be whatever roughness the skin needs.

Water is a different material than skin, so a better way to get differentiation might be to repurpose a clearcoat shader. 
  • Zoddo
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    Make sure the water has zero roughness. Make a copy of the normal map and edit it to be black drops on a gray background. Gray would be whatever roughness the skin needs.

Water is a different material than skin, so a better way to get differentiation might be to repurpose a clearcoat shader. 

thanks, my shader material is still "funky" and I am using in this case two different texture sets; a skin texture set and a seamless water droplet texture.

I will see what I can do!
  • Zoddo
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    So for project and design reasons I had to go to decals instead of one material, I managed to get it to work more accurate with a decal and added in a reflection probe and now it looks great!

Now I only need to get refraction working, but unity has no refraction node so i will have to improvise!