Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Realistic Male Base Character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Hello Polycount members. I've been working on a realistic character recently while helping out a friend of mine in the 3D Character Art role of our indie game project. Here are some shots of the model so far.

Head:

Hand:

The head is sculpted from a reference sculpt model with the main planes of the face, and referring to other realistic head sculpts. Similarly, the hand was sculpted from a low-poly base hand mesh following realistic references. Constructive comments are greatly appreciated. Any suggestions so far? Thanks :)

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    If you´re going for realistic here are some things I would take a look at. How old is this character supposed to be? because the head looks like a thirty something year old but the hands look like they belong to a much older man.
    I wouldn´t rush so much into pore detail until the big shapes are down. 
    Good luck with your game !

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Tue. Dec. 10, 2019: Completed most of the main shabby outfit, refined the head/face, did the legs and feet, and made the hands younger-looking. :)

Face close-ups:

Hands (younger than before):

Shabby shirt:

Rugged pants:

Legs and feet:

Thanks for your feedback @JohannesAg. How does any of this look now? :)
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think the calves are a little too flat to have that super defined crease in the back. Also would be cool if the tear in his clothing was an actual tear and exposed his skin. Keep up the good work!
  • Al13nHand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man good work and keep up with the sculpting. I think some of the body proportions are off... The arms seem a little too long and the body and legs possibly too short?
    Also the sculpted detail of the fabric is too strong... I personally don't bother with that until I've retopo'd and started Texturing as you can get more resolution with pixels than subdivided geo at least with my pc anyway.
    Also the creases and folds in the clothing don't seem right they don't look like foulds due to gravity and pulling. Also there doesn't seem to be any foulds in the shirt.... Clothing is really bloody hard so you could use marvelous designer to get a solid base for your characters attire 😁
  • MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Al13nHand said:
    Hey man good work and keep up with the sculpting. I think some of the body proportions are off... The arms seem a little too long and the body and legs possibly too short?
    Also the sculpted detail of the fabric is too strong... I personally don't bother with that until I've retopo'd and started Texturing as you can get more resolution with pixels than subdivided geo at least with my pc anyway.
    Also the creases and folds in the clothing don't seem right they don't look like foulds due to gravity and pulling. Also there doesn't seem to be any foulds in the shirt.... Clothing is really bloody hard so you could use marvelous designer to get a solid base for your characters attire 😁

Thanks for your comment! The arms are at that length because of the skeleton/rig that we are currently using for the characters in our game project. What would you suggest about how to texture the fabrics to get the best quality details and realism (know any good textures/materials in Substance Painter)?

The clothes are meant to be simple and I wasn't planning on using Marvelous Designer yet. Though I may check it out and compare results. :)
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    Hi, just a suggestion that might help, 

Make the pose more natural for the body sculpting phase. You mentioned the pose is for skeleton rig, but I find the T pose hard to get a good feel of proportions and overall feel of a character as it looks such an unnatural and awkward pose.  Once you are happy with it, you can adjust it back to the T pose for rigging.

Just a thought, It might be helpful. 
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    The face is better but still kinda blobby, here are a few notes. Do you have subdivisions on the head? If so I would work at a lower sub level for now. The highest subdivision level is mostly just for detailing

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Sat. Dec. 14, 2019: Made some refinements to the head and face based on feedback.

I think it's looking quite decent now. How does it look? :)
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    That looks way better than your previous version, good job :)

Oh I found a small thingy to fix, just soften this hard edge. At the moment I looks to un natural