Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Helwan Brigadier (Berreta M1951)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
fdfxd2 interpolator

Not a particularly striking final result, and I can't say it was fun beyond the 13th time I had to remodel the whole thing. But I learned a lot through those remakes so I can't really call it a failure. yet. give it a few weeks I'm sure I'll cringe at it then.

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Day 3 (Separated from main thread so i don't lose it)

Day 4 (Continued after a small hiatus)

The slide was *a lot* easier to model than I imagined it would be, see I was really worried about the bit transitioning the front barrel to the full width of the slide, but after looking at some reference. What had to be done became clear.

So lesson learned, don't have panic attacks about how hard things are going to be to model, without taking a good look at *all* the reference you have :)

Changelog
    - Hammer
    - Slide

What's next
    - Iron Sight (These were great fun to work on with the krinkov, the sights of this one are similar, so I'm looking forward to that)
    - Magazine
    - Baking & Texturing
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Forgot to upload the progress from yesterday,

Day 5 - Highpoly Finished

Changelog
    - Magazine(it's a pretty simple magazine form wise, so I decided against wasting polycount's forum space on uploading the screenshots of it's clay render ;) )
    - Iron Sights

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Yikes....

Day 6/7/8/9/10

I was uh... set back due to....major realizations about how the model was going to be animated....those realisations came after I spent days decimating,uv mapping & just while I was beginning to texture.

Plan ahead, don't be like me, is all I can say.

Changelog
    - Slide Corrections
    - Internals
    - Slide lock & Slide latch(after stumbling upon new references)
    - Began lookdev process.
    - Baking

To do
    - Magazine
    - Normal Corrections
    - Texturing, proper.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Day 13

Majority of the beginning 2 days were spent optimizing the texel density, really trying to squeeze as much uv real estate i could get to get the pistol to look good at 2048 x 2048. It was a definitely a fun learning experience figuring out how to do that efficiently.

the Blender renders dont really do it justice but that effort definitely paid off.

Changelog
    - Optimized Texel Density
    - Experimented a bit with the texturing
    - Fixed some glaring topological errors that I'm surprised I didn't catch until then.(basically the entire rear was off in some way)
    - Lookdev, with the materials. Shout out to Binh Le for giving away that sick grainy plastic material for free.

To Do
    - Continue Lookdev
    - Magazine
    - Normal Errors(didn't triangulate before baking again... :/)

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Day 19

Almost done! I say almost because I'm not a fan of how the janky the magazine looks when loaded magazine, and it probably wont take long to fix. So that's what's next on the agenda.

Changelog
    - Replaced the "placeholder" plastic material, with a custom material
    - Textured the magazine
    - Fixed normal errors

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Fail faster. that's my defense  ;)

Next projects going to be either a retry of an old project or... some kind of M4(yes the final boss)