Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Moroccan Tile Material

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Lurcisia greentooth
Hey Polycount!! Its been a while :) 

Was hoping to get some feedback on my new material. I've been wanting to do a floral/ornate material for a long time, so I decided to do Moroccan tiles since I grew up in Morocco. Done 100% procedurally in substance designer!

More renders and breakdowns here!: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8l0D6x

edit: forgot the graph ahha

Please let me know what you think!

Replies

• Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    Here are the maps!
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I think the roughness needs the most work, looks sort of like a stock grunge pattern laid over the top with no regard for the the different roughness values of the different materials (grout vs tile etc...).

The normal seems a bit too bumpy to me, and I'm not sure what to make of those depressed areas on the left side of the texture. Personally I think you could use randomness in the slope of the tiles, some people really overdo it but a little bit can give it that hand made realistic feel in the way each tile catches the light slightly differently.

For the albedo, I think it could use a bit of grunge, also where you have cracks and the chips on the edges of the tile are often spots that are more rough and if enough of the porcelain is removed you see some of the underlying clay or whatever the tiles are made of. I'm not sure what Moroccan tiles are made of but I know Mexican Talavera tiles tend to be porcelain on red clay, and when they are chipped badly it exposes that red layer like in the picture below.

So keep working at it, i like it aesthetically just need to push it a bit further.