Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Overwatch Art Style Study Feedback

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Astrocoolbug polycounter lvl 2
I've been trying to study the Overwatch Art style so I can cater my characters to look more like they do in the game. I just wanted some feedback on my progress so far. Link to Artstation is here for anyone who wants to look at the Marmoset viewer: https://astrocoolbug.artstation.com/

This is my first post so Hopefully I'm doing this right, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a few things.
-faithfulness to overall look
-quality of hard surface modeling and organic
-tips for reducing polygon counts, also if necessary?

I'm going to be making full characters soon but I just wanted to try and do one off studies first.

Programs used are zbrush and Maya for modeling. Substance for texturing and Marmoset for rendering.

Below I have 2 projects, First being a Tracer Bust where I was trying to get the proportions down as close as possible while also trying to have a really polished look. I also would love some recommendations to recreate how Blizzard does hair for the game because that was my biggest struggle with this.

These are 3D Models of Torbjorn's gun original concept ideation. Goal here was to try and get it as close to looking believable as an alternative to what he has now.

If you made it all the way through, thank you.

Replies

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    First off , looks very cool, it looks like Tracer :)
    The render in the first pic , imo the light kinda overblown, and takes away the detail from the face. I think if you add lights in other places to create more shadows or increase the ambient occlusion ,possibly mess around with the global illumination settings inside of Marmoset, you might get even better results. 
  • Astrocoolbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After Playing with marmoset a little more I released the default material didn't use the PBR settings so I'm going back and fixing that. I think that's why it looks over blown. I made gloss maps and everything yet, I wasn't using them on Tracer oops.
  • vonboe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonboe polycounter lvl 12
    When working with sculpted hair you will probably get a better result if you utilized anisotropic reflections instead of the standard GGX reflections, also try and alpha/dither out the tips and the roots of your hair to make a smoother transmission.

Hope it helps :)
  • Astrocoolbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh awesome! Yeah that seems almost essential since it's Overwatch and I think that's exactly what they do. Thank you so much vonboe
  • Astrocoolbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated Tracer a bit, as akiratang mentioned it was blown out a bit so I brought it in line more. As well as adding anisitropy to the hair as vonboe said. I was unable to get the sharp highlights but I think I would need to really go back and redo the hair. But this is how it looks now.